UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

little white worms

Go down 
+5
CSnyder00
nick a
philuponthepho
KMX
tjb0408
9 posters
AuthorMessage
tjb0408
Private First Class
Private First Class
tjb0408

Favorite Fish: : Bettas
All types of shrimps

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime11/8/2009, 9:41 pm

i have little white worm looking things in my 10 gallon crayfish tank. they look like white fuss on the glass but when you look close they move around. PLEASE HELP
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime11/8/2009, 9:47 pm

Do you have any pics? Could be ich...
Back to top Go down
tjb0408
Private First Class
Private First Class
tjb0408

All types of shrimps

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime11/8/2009, 9:49 pm

its not ich their worms
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime11/8/2009, 9:52 pm

Any pics of it?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime11/8/2009, 9:54 pm

Planaria?
Back to top Go down
tjb0408
Private First Class
Private First Class
tjb0408

All types of shrimps

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime11/8/2009, 10:08 pm

is it bad. to small to take pics of
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime11/8/2009, 10:14 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planarian

It aint good! LOL
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime11/8/2009, 10:53 pm

I know what he's talking about. I've had those SEVERAL times before. Are the worms really white and squiggle around? They also cling to the glass correct? If they are, I don't know the scientific name but I know how to get rid of them.

1) 100% water change
2) Locate fish to another tank
3) Rinse any plants/gravel with regular water(chlorine kills)
4) Place plants in the other tank with fish
5) Let the aquarium dry!
6) They should be dead

I've tried those medication but non of them work without the filter being turned off, but then your fish would choke of medicine and nitrates.
Back to top Go down
nick a
Sergeant
Sergeant
nick a

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 6:18 am

If planaria, they're not harmful themselves--but it indicates a need to keep your tank cleaner. Less food + more gravel vacs will almost always take care of the situation.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 7:04 am

I saw one on my 10 gallon guppy tank yesterday. It is the least taken care of out of all of my tanks. I will have to up the maintenance a little and see if that helps.
Back to top Go down

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 8:27 am

If they look like short white dog hair stick to the glass and in the gravel. Then its free floating nematodes. Harmless. Just do a good cleaning on your tank and cut down on feeding.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 12:11 pm

Fern wrote:
If they look like short white dog hair stick to the glass and in the gravel. Then its free floating nematodes. Harmless. Just do a good cleaning on your tank and cut down on feeding.

Not harmless. Some of them are parasitic. I caught them digging into my oscars head and causing holes all over its body. I used gloves to handle the oscar (those worms can infest you and cause heart problems) and sprayed him with regular chlorinated tap water and stuck him in a 20 gallon with tap water with the dechlorinater in it for a few days and those bumps vanished.

100% water change !!!
Back to top Go down
afi137n
Private First Class
Private First Class
afi137n

Favorite Fish: : Oscar's
Arowana's

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 3:45 pm

About Those “Bugs.” Sooner or later you will see tiny “worms” or other mini-critters climbing the walls or even crawling on your oscar. These bugs are not harming your oscar. They are part of your filter’s clean up crew. They live in the gravel of most aquaria. They help eat the extra miscellaneous gobbets that drift down into your gravel. If you fail to make regular water changes, these critters climb up out of the gravel looking for more O2. Don’t try to kill them. You need them. Make your water change that you forgot to make. The bugs will go back into their homes below the gravel. Or, your oscars may have grown to exceed the bio-capacity of your filter system. Move them to larger quarters or juice up your filter system.
Back to top Go down

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 4:45 pm

little white worms 858205
Back to top Go down
suzannaonspruce
Private
Private

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime12/24/2009, 2:52 am

What info do you have or where on the worms infesting people and attacking the heart? I'd like to read up on that!
Back to top Go down
chicknefoot87
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
chicknefoot87

Favorite Fish: : Goldfish and Koi! I have to represent for the serious goldfish hobbyist.

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime12/25/2009, 11:50 am

A flying fox fish would help by eatting the Planarian worms but the crayfish would probably eat him!
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime12/25/2009, 1:41 pm

nick a wrote:
If planaria, they're not harmful themselves--but it indicates a need to keep your tank cleaner. Less food + more gravel vacs will almost always take care of the situation.

Never ever do a 100% water change unless you remove all the fish to a safe tank......25% water changes can badly affect the fish and bio system...Research "osmoregulation and osmotic shock"

As stated, planaria are harmless scavengers just trying to help clean up a dirty tank....Some fish enjoy eating planaria.

The subject of osmoregulation and the osmotic shock effect of water changes has been around a long time, but wannabe gurus continue to push large careless water changes as a cure all for everything......Please take the time to research "osmoregulation and osmotic shock" for fresh and salt water tanks....Read about water conductivity and the use of TDS meters.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime12/25/2009, 1:51 pm

philuponthepho wrote:
Fern wrote:

"Not harmless. Some of them are parasitic. I caught them digging into my Oscars head and causing holes all over its body. I used gloves to handle the Oscar (those worms can infest you and cause heart problems) and sprayed him with regular chlorinated tap water and stuck him in a 20 gallon with tap water with the dechlorinator in it for a few days and those bumps vanished."

"100% water change !!!
"

Your Oscar probably had HTTD which is common among large and older cichlids kept in marginal water quality....If it was HTTD you are lucky the Oscar is still alive.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime12/25/2009, 1:58 pm

"(those worms can infest you and cause heart problems)"

Please tell us where you got that piece of valuable info so I can pass it to my medical friends.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime12/25/2009, 2:42 pm

Its actually flatworms not planeria. COusin of em, MY BAD!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

little white worms Empty
PostSubject: Re: little white worms   little white worms Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

little white worms
Page 1 of 1