UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/20/2009, 5:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

I currently have what I thought was a male EBJD. Until today when I decided to get it a mate. I went to the store and picked up one male and one female. I sexed by both the coloration on the gill plate and through venting. I get home and for laughs decided to vent my EBJD just to be sure. Turns out, HE is a SHE! Now I have a plain male and one of each type of female. Here's my question. Can you breed a female Blue Dempsey with a normal Jack Dempsey and get either blue gene or EBJD fry?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/28/2009, 4:12 pm

I already did. I figured that was best for her and the tank.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/28/2009, 4:13 pm

Yes fungus is no good. Sometimes my Yellow Belly Alberts will amaze me with how many eggs they can hold in there small mouths...50-60 And about 10-15 will go white and start to fungus... I have to get those out ASAP or they will get on the the fry that are alive. No good!
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/28/2009, 4:18 pm

How do you get fungus eggs out of a fishes mouth?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/29/2009, 9:16 am

New Development:

The female had kicked the male out of the nest before he was able to fertilize the eggs. Before this, he was actually living in the same cave as her. What do I do now that the eggs are out and they are still fighting?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/29/2009, 10:10 am

2 words; Dither fish. Get something fast enough that they cant catch it and large enough that it wont fit in its mouth. A jewel may work for them. Not too sure on the size though.
The pair bond gets strengthened when they have a mutual 'enemy'
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/29/2009, 1:26 pm

There's an albino Red-Fin shark in there that does plenty of picking himself. He's the perfect fish. It's starting to get better. They are not fighting now, just scared of each other again.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/1/2009, 5:42 pm

They are now prowling together again. I just had to feed them and coax them back to each other.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/9/2009, 9:14 pm

How long will it take for a Jack Dempsey to lay eggs after laying and then having them being taken out of the tank?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/12/2009, 6:02 am

New issue. I just can't win with these two. Now the male wants to mate and is chasing the female around the tank. He is stressing her out big time. How do I fix this?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/18/2009, 8:52 am

I separated them for about a week and then re-introduced them. They fought. He won. Back to the drawing board. I don't want to divide the tank because I have other fish in there that need to be able to get back and forth. SOOO Frustrating! I can't get rid of the EBJD because she is SO nice and I'm not sure if putting other younger males in there are a good idea, but I can always try that if someone thinks that's a good idea. Anyone ever have similar troubles?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's   Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2