UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?

Go down 
+3
Cichlid Lover
BobV
fifty5gal
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fifty5gal
Private
Private
fifty5gal

How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Empty
PostSubject: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/19/2011, 3:45 pm

i have a pair of longfins in a 20 gallon long. i have had them for 4 weeks and the guy i got them from said they should spawn soon. i feed them alge waffers, do 25% water change weekly, theres wood and three caves. what do i do.
Back to top Go down
BobV
Sergeant
Sergeant
BobV

Favorite Fish: : african cichlids

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/19/2011, 3:49 pm

Turn the lights down low, Turn on some Al Green music, and dump some wine in the tank...lol Just give them time. It takes time for fish to get accustomed to the surroundings.
Back to top Go down
Cichlid Lover
USA Fishbox Sponsor
Cichlid Lover

Favorite Fish: : Peacocks

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/19/2011, 4:39 pm

It took my Albinos 3 months. On some of the other pairs I just switched around the males and they had eggs in a week.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/19/2011, 5:45 pm

And it depends on how old they are . I got some juvies and it was 10 months before they became sexually mature . Just give them time and nature will take its course !
Back to top Go down
BIGFISHAQUATICS
Private
Private
BIGFISHAQUATICS

Favorite Fish: : gold fish

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/19/2011, 7:37 pm

i had similar issues until i made the opening to the cave smaller so that the parent fish have to almost squeeze through to get in ,i have babies coming out my ears,

2 batches in a very short amount of time,

one cave ,small entrance worked for me and another fella who breeds them told me to do it.

im jeff ,im new here ,,,,hi
Back to top Go down
fifty5gal
Private
Private
fifty5gal

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/19/2011, 10:55 pm

the light is almost never on and the male is 2in long, body not fins, the female is 3in long. they have spawned before but not with me. ill try make some smaller caves and see if that helps.
Back to top Go down
greydragon12345
Private First Class
Private First Class
greydragon12345

Favorite Fish: : Angelfish,guppys

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 8:22 am

how old do they need to be to spawn??
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 8:31 am

They need to be bigger then 2". I would also say that the male needs to be bigger then the female. He is tyring to trap her in the cave and basically force her to mate with him. If he can't trap her in there then in her eyes he is not good enough to mate with her.

Are you sure you got a M and F?
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 8:44 am

greydragon12345 wrote:
how old do they need to be to spawn??

Anytime after 8-9 months they will become sexually mature. dance
Back to top Go down
fifty5gal
Private
Private
fifty5gal

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 10:04 am

they have spawned before.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 10:08 am

For you or the person you got them from?
Back to top Go down
fifty5gal
Private
Private
fifty5gal

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 10:20 am

person i got them from
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 10:43 am

fifty5gal wrote:
person i got them from

Do you trust that person 100%?

I just don't see them spawing that young with the male being smaller then the female. Just my opinion but I have seen weird things happen lol!
Back to top Go down
fifty5gal
Private
Private
fifty5gal

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 1:11 pm

yes.

Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 2:07 pm

If you do, then I guess all you can do is wait. Patience is key in this hobby.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime6/20/2011, 4:46 pm

at the size you say they are ,, I have my doubts ! They prolly need to be another 3/4 in. body size . The females body will get really wide as she gets eggs ready ! And you can actually see the eggs if she is on the front glass .

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?   How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do i get my longfin bristlenose (ancistrus) to spawn?
Page 1 of 1