UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

New spawn questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

New spawn questions Empty
PostSubject: New spawn questions   New spawn questions Icon_minitime12/9/2009, 1:25 pm

Well I just released about 70 mchenga conophoros fry today. My question is what are you guys feeding your fry? I have always fed crushed flakes. Does anyone bushy nose plecos with there fry? I am considering moving my trio to the fry tank. The tank ia a 40bdr.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: New spawn questions   New spawn questions Icon_minitime12/9/2009, 1:33 pm

I feed them crushed spirulina flakes. The fry actually feed off there own egg for about the 1st month. If you watch the whole process ( go from egg to fry) You will see that the last thing they develope is there stomaches. The reason for that is bc they are using that egg as there source of food for the first 30-40 days of life. Sorta weird but interesting. I'm probley not the best at explaining it either. how big are your BN?
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

PostSubject: Re: New spawn questions   New spawn questions Icon_minitime12/9/2009, 1:35 pm

The bns are about 3 1/2" or so. They breed all the time but the tank they are in isnt really fry freindly.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: New spawn questions   New spawn questions Icon_minitime12/9/2009, 1:36 pm

You explained it right. That's just the way it is.
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

PostSubject: Re: New spawn questions   New spawn questions Icon_minitime12/9/2009, 1:40 pm

Its been so long since I have had fry from anything. I used to breed all sorts of africans but had to move and that shut me down for awhile. Just checking to see if anyone was doing anything new for there fry.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: New spawn questions   New spawn questions Icon_minitime12/9/2009, 1:41 pm

Terry wrote:
The bns are about 3 1/2" or so. They breed all the time but the tank they are in isnt really fry freindly.

The BN could eat the fry ....probley 50/50. If you want to breed them out I would say get there own tank and then something for the fry aswell.

nitty wrote:
You explained it right. That's just the way it is.

swwweeet New spawn questions 690297
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

PostSubject: Re: New spawn questions   New spawn questions Icon_minitime12/9/2009, 1:44 pm

Could I move the bn fry to the fry tank? Would that be safe?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: New spawn questions   New spawn questions Icon_minitime12/9/2009, 1:47 pm

yes. I have about 100 fry... Maleri island peacocks, yellow bellys and my yellow lab fry with my ABN fry. Everything is great.
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

PostSubject: Re: New spawn questions   New spawn questions Icon_minitime12/9/2009, 2:12 pm

Now I have an anchor island holding. She is only 1 1/2". Small but I guess its possible.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: New spawn questions   New spawn questions Icon_minitime12/9/2009, 2:25 pm

Yes some Vics will start breeding really early.
Back to top Go down
bristlenosedude
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : PLECOS AND AFRICAN RIFT LAKE CICHLIDS

PostSubject: Re: New spawn questions   New spawn questions Icon_minitime12/16/2009, 8:27 pm

I keep BN's in all my tanks, even with my breeding julie pairs. They don't bother the eggs or tiny fry. The only fish I ever found that wouldn't tolerate them in the tank was N brichardi, killed them every time. If you mix BN fry with africans you will find that the africans grow faster than the Bn's and will start killing them. Just my experience after many years of breeding them.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: New spawn questions   New spawn questions Icon_minitime12/16/2009, 8:52 pm

Even the big BN ones are ok to be with small fry? If so that's good news. New spawn questions 393849 I was not sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New spawn questions   New spawn questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New spawn questions
Page 1 of 1