UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

used acrylic tank question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
biz
Private
Private

used acrylic tank question Empty
PostSubject: used acrylic tank question   used acrylic tank question Icon_minitime6/7/2011, 5:05 pm

i was at a garage sale the otherday and a guy has a 240 gallon acrylic tank complete with5 lights heaters lots decrotive rock.The sump is broke and there is no stand.I have never had an acrylic tank but heard they scratch very easily.My questions are can acrylic be to scratched to fix and what should i build the stand out of.and finally how much would a sump cost???? p.s. he only wants $500.00 thanks everyone for you help!!!!
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: used acrylic tank question   used acrylic tank question Icon_minitime6/7/2011, 8:43 pm

Where is this tank at? lol!

Yes acrylic scratch easier than glass but acrylic is easier to buff out that glass.
With some elbow grease and proper grit of especial sand paper you'll be able to restore this tank to a clear viewable tank. I made a stand for 240g acrylic using 1x4s and 3/4" plywood. If you are Leary about 1x4s you can use the more stronger 2x4s but that stand is gonna weigh a ton used acrylic tank question 690297

I am assuming that this is a drilled tank with internal overflow, I suggest you buy a wet/dry sump rated for the overflow.

Last edited by khrister on 6/7/2011, 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sUMcRAZYfISH
Private First Class
Private First Class
sUMcRAZYfISH

Favorite Fish: : AFRICAN CICHLIDS

PostSubject: Re: used acrylic tank question   used acrylic tank question Icon_minitime6/7/2011, 8:59 pm

TO MUCH MONEY !!! Ive had acrylic and it had some scratches not alot used 2000 grit sand paper and the best acrylic polish and u can still see the scratches!! i even used a buffer to polish them out..But still u can see them alittle..but then again im picky.U can have them buffed with resin at a shop and it will be like knew but after u buy that tank and have it buffed u can buy a new 1 at that cost and maybe a stand!!And when u clean ur tank be carful cause dont scratch it!! U will have to empty it to remove new scratches.and a tank that size well thats alot of work. But thats my expirence!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: used acrylic tank question   used acrylic tank question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

used acrylic tank question
Page 1 of 1