UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Questions about acrylic tank

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Questions about acrylic tank Empty
PostSubject: Questions about acrylic tank   Questions about acrylic tank Icon_minitime2/3/2010, 8:50 am

I will be purchasing a used 240g (8'x2'x2') acrylic tank today. I have never used acrylic so I would like to know more about it. Here are a few things on my 'need to learn' list lol!
1)How neurotic do I need to be with building a stand, Same as for a glass tank?
2)Can I use silicon if I need to add in a divider, or is there a better way?
3)How would you get algae off? I always used a razor blade on glass and I know that won't work with acrylic.
4)If I am going to add a fair amount of rock in it should I still use egg crate on the bottom to diffuse the weight?
5)can I lay my florescent lights directly on the top border/lip? Or will the heat harm the acrylic?
6) is acrylic easily drilled and how is that done?
H E L P !!
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: Questions about acrylic tank   Questions about acrylic tank Icon_minitime2/3/2010, 11:14 am

Fern wrote:
I will be purchasing a used 240g (8'x2'x2') acrylic tank today. I have never used acrylic so I would like to know more about it. Here are a few things on my 'need to learn' list lol!
1)How neurotic do I need to be with building a stand, Same as for a glass tank?

Very Neurotic and good engineering skills lol! I constructed a 240g stand and it is doable.

2)Can I use silicon if I need to add in a divider, or is there a better way?

Silicon would not adhere to silicone. Just use a commercial tank divider with suction cup if there is a 24 x 24 size out there

3)How would you get algae off? I always used a razor blade on glass and I know that won't work with acrylic.

Use acrylic safe scrubs or your hands , beware acrylic scratch easy.

4)If I am going to add a fair amount of rock in it should I still use egg crate on the bottom to diffuse the weight?

Egg Crate recommended to distribute weight.

5)can I lay my florescent lights directly on the top border/lip? Or will the heat harm the acrylic?

I know it will warp the cover. I hate lighting anyway lol!

6) is acrylic easily drilled and how is that done?

They can come in drilled but you can also drill it, slowly as acrylic easily melt.

H E L P !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questions about acrylic tank   Questions about acrylic tank Icon_minitime2/3/2010, 11:37 am

when your drilling it id be EXTRA careful and let the drill bit or hole saw do all the work. they make special drill bits for acrylic, i have never broke acrylic using these bits. thats a HUGE TANK lol whats going in there? your new frontosas?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questions about acrylic tank   Questions about acrylic tank Icon_minitime2/3/2010, 12:08 pm

The fronts and mooriis..... And possibly something else in a 2x2x2 section lol!

Thank yall's for the answers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about acrylic tank   Questions about acrylic tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions about acrylic tank
Page 1 of 1