UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?

Go down 
+8
alan j t
alkomist
jake
cwhip
KMX
khrister
jessecichlidguy
Holey Rock of Texas
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Empty
PostSubject: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 9:22 am

do you use a space heater or individual tank heaters?
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 9:26 am

right now im using individual heaters gonna do space heaters
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 9:27 am

that gets expense compared to keeping them in the house tho correct?
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 9:31 am

yes sir but if done properly with individual heater and 1 air pump youe elec bill wont be as bad as using hob and what not.... i put the bare minimum that i could for wattage in my tanks if i was using a 300 i put a 200 or 150 or a 100 i also enclosed part of the garage to keep somewhat of a temp in the room so the heaters didnt kick on as much
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 10:05 am

Both.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 10:39 am

If you need help with the set up let me know. In a few years I will be doing the same thing so I need the experiance. usafishbox
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 11:04 am

im willing to fly out and give you a hand HRT we will get er set up in no time
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 11:33 am

I dont really understand why anyone would want to keep tanks in their garage?
I see so many spetacular reef tanks and they are almost always in a ratty dank basement where they can't readily be seen, mine are right it plain site I have 3 in the living room and are seen as soon as you come in the house then people are surprised to see the 180 when the walk into the Great room. I guess I could see it if you were making a living selling fish but a display is just that to be displayed.
JMHO :)
Back to top Go down
jake
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
jake

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 11:51 am

A big heated tank IS a source of warmth
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 12:41 pm

cwhip wrote:
I see so many spetacular reef tanks and they are almost always in a ratty dank basement where they can't readily be seen, mine are right it plain site I have 3 in the living room and are seen as soon as you come in the house then people are surprised to see the 180 when the walk into the Great room. I guess I could see it if you were making a living selling fish but a display is just that to be displayed.

their breeding the fish in the garage.
the tanks arent ment to be seen as display tanks.........
theyre basically empty tanks with flowerpots or so nothin fancy.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 1:01 pm

alkomist wrote:
cwhip wrote:

their breeding the fish in the garage.
the tanks arent ment to be seen as display tanks.........
theyre basically empty tanks with flowerpots or so nothin fancy.

thats why I mentioned hobby breeding and making a lil extra $$
still there are so many reefers that hide tanks that would blow your mind.
if my tanks looked like that you would trip over it coming in my house:)
lol!
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 2:22 pm

insulating the tanks will help alot too.
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 6:47 pm

I keep most of my fish in the garage. I use a space heater, but still have to use tank heaters in some of the bottom tanks.
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 7:27 pm

My garage has central air in it and stays at the same temp as the house.
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 7:53 pm

When I first started in the hobby I had a couple of big monster tanks, then my hobby went more to breeding! My garage set up is ok, nothing super fancy but I get tons of traffic stopping by just to talk fish when I have the garage doors open! For me it made more sense to have it in the garage rather than spread all through out the house, not to mention I could add tanks to the garage and the wife would never know!!!

As far as the set-up... before you start get some of that thin insulation (doesn't take the thick stuff). I staple gunned it up in a few minutes. Then a couple of space heaters. I kept my garage in Texas at about 80 degrees when it was 30 outside. In Virginia I kept it at 70 when it was 10 degrees outside.... Not perfect but I didn't lose any fish! You must make sure to insulate the garage doors, I bought the heavy duty "super insulated ones" they were expensive but you can't feel any air coming through in a blizzard! I use a central air blower with sponge filters. Keep the blower up high in the garage as heat rises and then it will blow warmer air into the tanks and that helps keep the tanks a little warmer! On any tank 55 gallon or larger I also ran aqua clears on as well. I love using the garage as a "fishroom/hang out" IT's my little man cave... I put a recliner and stereo system out there, who needs a house!!!

Here's a couple pictures of my texas set-up...

How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? DSC_0095

All the "black stands" were from the last FOTAS that the HCCC hosted back a few years ago. I bought the racks from the club and modified them for what I needed.
How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? DSC_0100

Notice the blue wall in the back ground, its a thin insulation from Lowes, pretty cheap like $35 for a bundle that did over 1/2 the garage. On the back wall I had 8- 55 gallon tanks, I had 3-125 gallon tanks and 1- 240 gallon tank. The most tanks were 30-20 longs which are my favorite breeding tanks!
How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? DSC_0104

This shows (one of the side walls) a rack of 18- 10 gallon fry tanks and in the middle another rack of 6- 10 gallon tanks... I had at one time over 100 tanks going and full of fish/fry etc...
How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? DSC_0098
Back to top Go down
BobV
Sergeant
Sergeant
BobV

Favorite Fish: : african cichlids

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/13/2011, 8:45 pm

hmmmm keeping tanks in the garage.......let's see, Abrams, Shermans, Pershings, and the like are gonna take a huge garage, and it might not be necessary to heat them. rofl
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/17/2011, 1:00 pm

nice. im also worried about the texas heat. how to do correct for that?
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/17/2011, 1:11 pm

Holey Rock of Texas wrote:
nice. im also worried about the texas heat. how to do correct for that?

Open tanks, lots of surface agitation and insulated garage door.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime5/17/2011, 1:22 pm

yeah the insulated garage door is a must. i do nto really want to leave my house dorr open like you jojo lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?   How do you keep fish in the garage during winter? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you keep fish in the garage during winter?
Page 1 of 1