UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

The speed of a cycle

Go down 
AuthorMessage
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

The speed of a cycle Empty
PostSubject: The speed of a cycle   The speed of a cycle Icon_minitime5/6/2011, 1:37 pm

Had a fish die in my 55G on Tuesday, Didn't think much of it and since it was the end of the day I just netted it out and went to the faculty meeting. Next day I was SLAMMED with watching not only my class, but another one that was shoved into my room. Needless to say, I didn't have time to do more than toss some food in.

Yesterday I came in to find 3 of my smallmouth dead. Fished them out, checked levels. Major Ammonia spike was the culprit. Since I was stuck with one of my classes for 3hours straight (State's EOCs being taken for other core courses) - I lectured for the first two, then we reviewed the Nitrogen cycle and did a 50% water change as a class. This brought the NH4 down from 8ppm to 4ppm. Afterschool (7 hours later) I did another 50% water change, which brought NH4 down to 1.0ppm.

This morning I did a check and NH4 was now down to 0.25ppm. I pulled the in-tank filter to lightly rinse it, found a dead small sunfish - netting it out. Rinsed filter, set it on high - and then checked Nitrites. They were at 5.0ppm. Figured I'd do another large water change afterschool if needed. Checked the nitrite levels during lunch (4 hours later) and they are down to 0.25ppm already! Amazing how fast those bacteria work in an established tank!

Nitrates are going up slightly, but the duckweed/pond lilly/water iris are doing their part. Tank is a little lighter in fish population now - but at least my 3rd period students got a real hands-on experience in dealing with chemistry imbalance in an aquarium.
Back to top Go down

The speed of a cycle
Page 1 of 1