UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

cloudy water during cycle for freshwater

Go down 
+4
philuponthepho
CajunGator
ssteelhead
Rachael0805
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Empty
PostSubject: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 8:45 pm

how long does it take for cloudy water to disappear? i just filled the tank today and started the cycle. ammonia is allready climbing. i just hate cloudy water

Last edited by tim on 2/13/2010, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Favorite Fish: : Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror...

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 8:57 pm

What substrate are you using and what kind of filter?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 9:03 pm

crushed coral that i rinsed out for HOURS! and a penn plax cascade 1000 canister filter, i also used seachem stability also
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 9:05 pm

Give it a day or two to settle or be filtered. If you dont see ANY improvement when you wake up tomorrow then you have a problem.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 9:07 pm

ok, the water was clear when i filled it, it slowly started to get cloudy as the day went on
Back to top Go down
ssteelhead
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : oscar

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 9:09 pm

lol that would be a bacteria bloom most likely
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 9:11 pm

good or bad?
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 9:13 pm

Is your filter hooked up right? Not filtering the particles back in is it? Filter clean?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 9:15 pm

filters clean, theres hardyly any particles in the water... its just cloudy
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 9:21 pm

Takes time somestime
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 9:22 pm

ok ill post some pics later on tonight.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 10:38 pm

Took me 20 days to get super clear for a emperor 400 on a 55g.
Took me 3 days to get super clear for 2 sponge filters ea rated up to 80gallons so triple the filtration LOL. I also used instant cycle substrate which helped it QUICK.
And my 10 gallon took about 4 days to get clear but with an already established filter. Also! my 20 gallon never turned cloudy because of 4x the filtration.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 10:42 pm

k im thinking about getting hob filter to help out
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 11:03 pm

cloudy water isnt a bad thing when youre starting out... it's bad if its an established tank. give it a day or two or heck up to a week to clear... if you don't feel like waiting.. get some purigen and polishing pads and stick it in the filter and call it a day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 11:08 pm

thanks for the help tony, ill give it a few days, if its not cleared up by next weekend ill get some polishing pads
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/14/2010, 7:10 am

Like tony said its not a bad thing, Just ignore it and let it do its thing. Did you use 50% of everything from you 10g like I suggested? You need to feed the tank with fish flake to get the bacteria going if you did. One small pinch daily will do.
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/14/2010, 12:04 pm

Hows it looking tim?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/14/2010, 2:50 pm

Fern wrote:
Like tony said its not a bad thing, Just ignore it and let it do its thing. Did you use 50% of everything from you 10g like I suggested? You need to feed the tank with fish flake to get the bacteria going if you did. One small pinch daily will do.

yep i did, the water is still cloudy but the fish aint dead yet lol
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/14/2010, 3:02 pm

I think she meant fish flake...not fish lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/14/2010, 3:03 pm

i know haha but i added fish too
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/14/2010, 3:06 pm

What did you put in there....nothing expensive right!?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/14/2010, 4:29 pm

3 small convicts that i had in a little tank that i never took back to the lfs
Back to top Go down
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/14/2010, 5:24 pm

Still say you should have gone with ammonia . . . cloudy water during cycle for freshwater 393849
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/14/2010, 5:42 pm

The ammonia method is not very safe, most ammonia's have surfactants in them and can kill fish and bacteria. The fish food method is the safest way to go. From what I have heard convicts are very hardy. Just keep up on the water changes Tim, especially if any numbers get into the iffy zone. If you don't have a liquid test kit you need to get one. I highly suggest the Tetra laborett kit. It has most if the tests you will need, it also has a few salt tests in it.
Back to top Go down
Raschael
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Raschael

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime2/14/2010, 5:59 pm

I have only used the ammonia method and it has worked great for us. I like to know that I can put a load of fish in and I have enough bacteria to support it. I suppose it's just all personal preference and experience. As long as you know what you are doing and use the right ammonia, it works great. cloudy water during cycle for freshwater 393849 I just don't like killing fish I suppose, or putting them through all the ups and downs of getting a tank cycled. Like I said, just my personal preference. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cloudy water during cycle for freshwater   cloudy water during cycle for freshwater Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cloudy water during cycle for freshwater
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next