UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums

Go down 
+4
strikingthematch
CajunGator
ornate12
Madmax0r
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

Favorite Fish: : Texas Cichlids (mainly Herichthys cyanoguttatus), Rock bass, and other native Texas fish

Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums Empty
PostSubject: Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums   Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums Icon_minitime4/27/2011, 6:55 pm

Howdy,

I have a trick I use for both sanitizing and turning wood and sticks dark brown/black for aquarium use. It is totally fish safe. You can sanitize just about anything with this method.

If I find a piece of wood I want to put in my tank there are 3 things I have to try and deal with If I do:

1) getting it water logged so It will sink (optional depending on the application)

2) geting all of the mold and strange bacteria off of it and who knows what else

3) making it look a nice dark brown color like wood that has been under water for a long time.

the answer to all of this is Potassium Permanganate. Its a dark purple powder that people love to use to start fires by adding glycerin to it.

well that's great fun, but after you get bored of that you can use it to sterilize things. It is sold on ebay for next to nothing intended for treating koi ponds. It is a very powerful oxidizing agent like bleach but quickly neutralizes upon contact with organic matter or any other oxidizeable substance.

long story short if a strong solution is made, it chemically "burns" things leaving them darkened with small amounts of carbon. in the process It absolutely kills all bacteria, viruses, and even small animals and bugs. Its fairly safe to handle, will turn your hands brown that's about all.

ok, so If you soak your logs in this for about a day or so, (that's prolly longer than necessary), they will be totally sterile and look a great dark color. The chemical will be completely neutralized at this point. They then can be taken in and added to the aquarium. maybe with a quick rinse before hand.

if a weak solution is added directly to the aquarium in very small amounts it can be used to kill some diseases like in the koi pond. but I dont really like doing this as it risks burning the fishes gills. they say in small amounts its safe tho.

the wonderful thing about it is it can be 100 percent neutralized by hydrogen peroxide if needed.

I am a huge fan of this chemical and use it for all sorts of stuff. It has a million uses.

-Buck

Last edited by Madmax0r on 4/27/2011, 7:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

Favorite Fish: : Texas Cichlids (mainly Herichthys cyanoguttatus), Rock bass, and other native Texas fish

PostSubject: Re: Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums   Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums Icon_minitime4/27/2011, 6:58 pm

one added note is that some people use it as a quick dip for fish before they put them in the tank.

we're talking very small amounts like the tip of a pincil worth of powder for maybe 30 gallons. but it will be enough to turn all of the water entirely pink.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums   Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums Icon_minitime4/27/2011, 7:07 pm

Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums 858205 I used to use many years ago!
So many uses, net dips etc!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums   Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums Icon_minitime4/28/2011, 6:36 am

I never used this stuff before!!
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums   Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums Icon_minitime4/28/2011, 6:37 am

That sounds like a great idea. I will have to look into this stuff more!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums   Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums Icon_minitime4/28/2011, 8:32 am

Great post!! Very nice Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums 102652 Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums 772341
Back to top Go down
Madmax0r
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Madmax0r

PostSubject: Re: Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums   Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums Icon_minitime4/28/2011, 10:49 pm

thanks!

the best part about it is you could easily treat a very large log or a long stick that would be nearly impossible to fit in a pot for boiling
Back to top Go down
sUMcRAZYfISH
Private First Class
Private First Class
sUMcRAZYfISH

Favorite Fish: : AFRICAN CICHLIDS

PostSubject: Re: Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums   Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums Icon_minitime4/29/2011, 12:05 am

have to check it out
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums   Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums Icon_minitime5/1/2011, 5:24 pm

you knows your chemistry!!! Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums 858205
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums   Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums Icon_minitime6/1/2011, 11:00 pm

Ok I am a little late on this post. Great information...my wife loves you ever since I caught the oven on fire trying to sanatize a lrg peice of driftwood from the lake I have tried almost everything...bleached the wood made it look horrible...sun baking takes for ever still have 3 peices out back hanging over the garden that I need to reclean because of the bird poo.

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums   Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tips for sanitizing and darkening wood for aquariums
Page 1 of 1