UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Puffers advice..tips...

Go down 
+2
KMX
canda
6 posters
AuthorMessage
canda
Private
Private

Puffers advice..tips... Empty
PostSubject: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 10:24 am

Hello all,
So I am new to the fish hobby...but I have fallen in love with the "mini puffers"....but really would like a variety of fish in my tank....I have read these guys can be very mean...?? is there any other fish I can keep with them?? I have a new 29 gallon... freashwater tank... sand substrate in tank filter/heater and a few plants...been cyceling for about 9 days...ready for fish!! Thanks in advance for any advice..tips on the puffers!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 10:35 am

Tanya or Miranada might know a little something about these guys. Before you put the puffers in there I would get a few tester fish 1st. From what I know puffers are not that hardy and 9 days is not that long of a cycle. Did you start the tank from scratch or off of another tank? Like water and filter?
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 10:43 am

Are they green spotted puffers?
Back to top Go down
canda
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 10:51 am

The ones I saw are green spotted... the filter was off of a friends tank....as was the sand...I was told 9 ten days was good...should i wait...and I think some guppys or something will be my "testers"....thanks
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 11:07 am

Yeah if you had good bacteria off sand and another filter you should be good for sure. Always good to do a tester fish for atleast 48 hours.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 11:08 am

Green spotted are pretty hardy, but having cycled water is a must. They are bi-polar fish that will snap at any time. Do not keep them with snails or anything that has a shell because they will eat it. Do not keep them with anything slow (guppies, goldfish) because they will eat their tails. They are very cute because of their personality and will follow you. You HAVE to have a salinity of 1.001+ or they will die. Alot of people convert them to full marine (has been done) and they thrive. Feeding them snails will keep their beaks sharpened so its a must.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 11:29 am

wow.......who knew puffers could be so complicated?? lol
good luck on ur puffer tank!
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 11:33 am

yeah I know....Walmart sells it for $4.83 ea, They keep them in with cichlids with no salt...But still, I want some!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 11:36 am

so they can be kept with cichlids?
wat kind?
Back to top Go down
canda
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 12:15 pm

Any way to get the cute with out all the work?? lol!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 12:21 pm

i would follow with wat phil said!! if u wanna do things rite
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 1:43 pm

Its easy, just put some instant ocean in there and keep them with mollies (which like water with a little salinity)
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 1:58 pm

iv heard bout mollies lik salt!!
can they be converted as well??
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 2:23 pm

No. I think the highest salinity level for them is like 1teaspoon a gallon. Which is (dont quote me) 1.001? But green spotted puffers like a little more salt.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 2:39 pm

so how long does it take for a puffer to be converted?
or can it be done rite away?
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 3:24 pm

Increase .001 salinity every week is safe. So itll take about 23 weeks to turn it into full marine.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 3:31 pm

THATS SOO KOOL HOW THAT WORX!!! lol
their u go canda!! u can work ur way up to SW in 23weeks!! lol
ok but is the salt mandetory for them?
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 3:46 pm

YES!!!!!!!!!! At least 1.001 salinity or they die when they get bigger.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 4:03 pm

hmm......... kool man thanx for all that info!!
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 6:49 pm

philuponthepho wrote:
YES!!!!!!!!!! At least 1.001 salinity or they die when they get bigger.

Puffers advice..tips... 858205 The green spotted puffer really needs a brackish tank to thrive. They *can* live in freshwater, but it shortens they're lifespan. Since I bought mine (one of them from Wal-mart) and put them in a brackish tank they've doubled in size; from about an 1.5" to 3" in just under 5 months. In the wild the GSPs are born in freshwater and then make their way up brackish streams into the ocean where they live as adults. They can live in fw, but for their longevity they need brackish water and eventually marine conditions. GSPs under an inch long should be in low end brackish water 1.001 (like phil said), they really need higher end brackish, working towards marine (1.023 or about in there). They will kill anything in their tank except other GSPs (and even then, you want them to be matched up when they're young and use a lot of visual barriers inside the tank), they might not kill other fish at first but they will eventually, even if it's only due to stress from fin nipping... Once they are in marine conditions, they *may* calm their antics down if kept with other larger and much more aggressive fish. They require quite a bit of room (30 gallons +) in addition to heavy duty filtration... they are awesome fish and most of my guests favorites when they come to my house... GSPs are flippin sweet and sooo worth the trouble!!!

Here's my two: Jack & Milton!
Puffers advice..tips... 2isfiq0
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 9:17 pm

Wow i didnt think they would grow that fast. Very nice.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 10:00 pm

In addition to Mirandas statement, an adult puffer REQUIRES a marine setup to grow up to 6" (max size). And when they are adult, feed them every other day to get tthe best outta em. ALSO! they will eat until their stomachs explode...so watch it.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 8:33 am

tisk tisk tski!!! just like goldfish!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puffers advice..tips...   Puffers advice..tips... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Puffers advice..tips...
Page 1 of 1