UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
cmurphy24
Private First Class
Private First Class

Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations? Empty
PostSubject: Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations?   Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations? Icon_minitime3/21/2012, 3:47 pm

Hey, I'm a little short on money right now and I feel like my tank just doesn't look natural enough. (Could be the fakes plants XD) So does anyone know any ways to make caves/hiding spots using rocks or things from nature. Any help is well appreciated! (By me and the fish (: )
Back to top Go down
sschult
Sergeant
Sergeant
sschult

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations?   Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations? Icon_minitime3/21/2012, 4:41 pm

Well if your looking for natures look, your imagination has no limits, find your nearest stream if it has clear water its better yet, and go for a walk and you will get tons of Ideas as to what particular style of rocks or stones you would like, would recomend first look at your tank and also the size it very much comes into play here, always larger rocks or stones near of the tank, but just take a piece of paper and pencil and draw what you would like your tank to look like, you dont have to have an ecxact drawing just lines will give you a good Idea of heights and angles as to what you would like your tank to look like and then go out to the nearest stream and pick material that will fit your Ideas, check with local authorities first just to make shure you wont be picking up anything that should not be removed and when the materials get home give them a good scrub with fresh water and later soak them atleast 24hrs in a bucket of water with some bleach without fragances or any of that stuff in this case your cheapest bleach will do and later rinse in water againg for 24 hrs with at least 2 rinses in between, let air dry and proceed to make your master piece and post pics to see what kind of imagination you have, good luck. Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations? 393849
Back to top Go down
cmurphy24
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations?   Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations? Icon_minitime3/21/2012, 5:06 pm

Thanks for the respond! That's a really good idea, I'm gonna look to find some kind of stream or something around here. I wasn't sure what the process was of cleaning them if I found it outside. I actually did use some flat kind of slate rock to make a little cave. They were in my girlfriend's aunt's aquarium before hand and she wanted to get rid of them. They look really good, I'm going to take a picture and upload it as soon as possible (:
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations?   Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations? Icon_minitime3/21/2012, 10:17 pm

some people pour vinegar over the rock and if the rock then produces bubbles or kinda foams then your not suppose to use the rock
Back to top Go down
koolaid68
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
koolaid68

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa, Blood Parrots, OB's, Blue Dolphin, & Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations?   Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations? Icon_minitime3/21/2012, 11:37 pm

I pretty much have used slate rock all thru out my 180 gallon tank. i have a few tall fake plants and a nice piece of driftwood. either log type or branch type of driftwood always looks great and the pleco's love them, they eat bits of the wood as part of their diet. just really soak the wood real good so that it dont turn your water a yellowish brown color.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations?   Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations? Icon_minitime3/22/2012, 8:43 am

Hobby lobby has some good fake plants.
Back to top Go down
koolaid68
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
koolaid68

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa, Blood Parrots, OB's, Blue Dolphin, & Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations?   Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations? Icon_minitime3/22/2012, 8:44 pm

Thanks KMX for the Hobby Lobby info on the fake plants. I will go check it out since i know of one close by.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations?   Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any tips on making freshwater aquarium decorations?
Page 1 of 1