UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Floating plants.

Go down 
+2
philuponthepho
KMX
6 posters
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/11/2009, 11:19 am

I was looking for some plants that will just float on the top of the water and be ok. I wanted to use it so my females can hide out from the males so they don't get picked on to much. I don't like to do a lot of rock b/c it's a mad to pull put when it's time to strip. Any suggestions? dance
Back to top Go down

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/11/2009, 12:37 pm

Hornwart is great for that. Southern water nymph grows well floating too. I have both BTW
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/11/2009, 12:40 pm

Any ready to cut and send to me ;0) lol!
Back to top Go down

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/11/2009, 12:41 pm

I'd have to look I know I have a bunch of the water nymph not sure on the hornwart though. How do you ship plants?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/11/2009, 1:11 pm

Put them in a bag of water just like fish. Same deal but easier!
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/11/2009, 1:24 pm

KMX wrote:

I bought most of my plants off ebay because shipping was free. Java moss floats most of the time and it grows out of control. Tastes like cr@p to other fish and it is ridiculously hardy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Java-Moss-Aquarium-Special-Plant-Fish-Deal-Tank-Live_W0QQitemZ250307067124QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a4776bcf4
Back to top Go down

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/11/2009, 1:29 pm

Hmmmm I would think the sloshing water would beat the poop out of the plants.
Java moss isn't supposed to float. You may not have true java moss if it floats by itself. Phil how were your plants packaged?
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/11/2009, 1:33 pm

In a ziplock bag. They only sink if they are kinda bunched together. If I fluffed them up they float. I dont know, I still think they are awesome
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/11/2009, 2:45 pm

philuponthepho wrote:
KMX wrote:

I bought most of my plants off ebay because shipping was free. Java moss floats most of the time and it grows out of control. Tastes like cr@p to other fish and it is ridiculously hardy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Java-Moss-Aquarium-Special-Plant-Fish-Deal-Tank-Live_W0QQitemZ250307067124QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a4776bcf4

Not bad at all. Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/11/2009, 7:19 pm

When ever I got my plants in the mail they came with in a day or 2 after ordering them FedEx. They would be warped in Wet news paper and they did fine.

yeah Hornwart would be best. It grows like a weed no matter how you plant it. It's very bushy too.
Back to top Go down

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/11/2009, 8:17 pm

Ya I would think wet newspaper and in a bag would work the best. I have hornwart and java moss in all of my fry tanks to help with water quality.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/11/2009, 8:21 pm

I need some
Back to top Go down

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/11/2009, 8:23 pm

Lemme see how much I can spare in the morning. I have more of the southern water nymph than horwart though. But they both grow well floating.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/12/2009, 7:38 am

No hurry im still setting up all my tanks from moving. WHAT A female dog!
Back to top Go down

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/12/2009, 8:08 am

Oh and the southern water nymph can be planted easily to make thickets for the females to hide in. It doesn't seem to have an issue with being up rooted from time to time. So there's 2 options on that one. I will take a pic of how I have mine later.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/12/2009, 8:19 am

I need something bitter that the Cichlids wont like. They are vegi freaks they will usually eat any plant.
Back to top Go down

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/12/2009, 8:44 am

My red jewels aren't eating it.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/12/2009, 8:52 am

Thats a good sign. Just let me know.
Back to top Go down

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/12/2009, 5:34 pm

.... Just a random thought. You may be able to take some fake plants and tie wine corks on them? You would have to replace the corks every month or so but it may be an idea...
Back to top Go down

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime10/12/2009, 5:37 pm

Here's the hornwart
Floating plants. DSCN0495
Here's the southern waternymph
Floating plants. DSCN0497
I'm not sure if I can spare any hornwart right now... But the waternymph I can
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime9/7/2010, 10:06 pm

water sprite does well floating or it has for me atleast.. doesnt look as cool as the hornward though
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime9/8/2010, 6:42 am

oh i have some of that hornwarth, that plant grows like crazy in your tank, i have it in my 10gl and it covered the whole tank
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime9/17/2010, 9:55 pm

wisteria is a good floater. im always trimming mines if any ones interested let me know.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime9/17/2010, 9:56 pm

i have so much hornwart that i also trim it every other week
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Floating plants. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating plants.   Floating plants. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Floating plants.
Page 1 of 1