UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

New Snails.

Go down 
+2
Dr. Who
strikingthematch
6 posters
AuthorMessage
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 10:04 pm

Well I suppose this could go in either ID or snails section... anyways... lol!

I received some plants from a grower out of NJ a few months ago and the plants are doing very well but when I got the plants I noticed what I assumed was a small nest of snail eggs. I did my best to wash them off but I suppose a few of them survived. So roughly a month later I noticed one very small snail crawling up my glass. This is the first snail that I have had in my planted tank. Not a huge deal to me they seemed to be sticking with the glass and eating away. Here it is a few months later and they are still getting bigger. So then it hit me that I didn't really know what kind of snails there are... so here I am asking fellow snail keepers what do I got and any useful information about them? Thanks! Striking
rock on

New Snails. 04042010

New Snails. 04042011
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 10:08 pm

All I know its a pond snail. Add a couple of clown loaches and they will take care of them.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 10:11 pm

I was thinking that was what it might be based off shell shape but really was not sure. They are really causing no harm at the moment and I don't really see them multiplying. That is to say that I believe there was only a handful of them to start and there are still only a handful.
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

Favorite Fish: : I love them all and snails!

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 11:07 pm

I have a tank full of pond and ramshorn snails.... they seem to enjoy the floating plants as food
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 11:16 pm

So far these seem to be sticking around the bit of algae on the glass and the dead plant matter. I suppose if they reproduce and get too many of them then they might turn to the other live plants in there. hmm.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 11:34 pm

Strike.. While I am far from an expert, the 2nd photo looks like a "bladder"? snail?.. I got a few in a plant shipment and haven't had a problem in the month or so that I've had them.. If fact, I find it amazing at their rate of travel!.. And aren't they really into fish poo? If true, sounds like a win-win!.. Bill
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 11:37 pm

Well that is what I was hoping to find out funny You are absolutely right about their rate of travel! It is amazing I watch one "drop" from the top of the tank to the bottom using the plants as a limbs haha. It was as if it was swinging from branch to branch.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 11:46 pm

It is amazing the different facets of the hobby that come to light once ya stop and smell the coffee... Before joining the BOX.. I thought Cory's and Pleco's were like ..umm appliances.. Ya know... a hoover vacuum ya keep in your closet but nothing worth showing off!.. Now I see a whole world of breeders of each! Just as excited about a new arrival as I am about tomorrows pickup of my 1st discus!.. Giddy here on that one!....
At the next meeting, ask D'Claro about Cory's,, take a cooler of your beverage of choice, cuz she can give ya chapter and verse about them critters.... Maybe she'll in turn give you the same length of time yaking about growing plants!>>>>>>>>>.llll J/K.. it's incredible what ya get exposed to and interested in on this site... I may even put in a goldfish tank!.. Bill
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/8/2011, 11:49 pm

Should be great :) can't wait to see some pictures of the new fish. Although I am sure the first few days they won't show their true color. Once they get adjusted then we shall see!
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/9/2011, 5:13 am

What I see in the first picture is a common pond snail. Yes , they will reproduce . I have not seen any ill affects on my plants , and they seem to enjoy "cleaning" the plants . After awhile , they seem to over populate their tank. I put some assassin snails in and they seem to hold the population in check .
Ray
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/9/2011, 9:37 am

Thanks Ray,
It makes sense that is what it is. After looking at the pictures of the pond and bladder snails it seems like it is very close to those. Pretty nice looking to be honest. It is hard to see in those pictures but the snail has a blue tint to it. O well I will just keep and eye on their population. As of right now I see one or two snails a day in the tank.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/9/2011, 9:49 am

Another snail I picked up in plants is a "trumpet?" snail. Looks like the horn of a unicorn. Seems they burrow beneath the substrate during light periods... I only occasionally see one but I know they're in there!..
LINK: link
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/9/2011, 9:58 am

Malaysion Trumpet Snails are live bearers . They will eventually take over your tank . A dozen assassin snails can not keep up with them .
Ray
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/9/2011, 10:30 am

Good to know!... I'll keep my peepers peeled!.. That article I ref'd did indicate they were live bearers and prolific but didn't bother plants nor the root. It also went on to say that an outbreak is associated with over-feeding the fish.. What a fine balancing act hey?
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime4/9/2011, 11:37 am

they are especially bad for HOB filters... they eventually get into the impeller area and start giving troubles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Snails. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Snails.   New Snails. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Snails.
Page 1 of 1