UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Can anyone help my sick cichlid?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids; mostly peacocks and haps

Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 10:07 am

Hello! I have a 180 gallon, mostly Malawi tank. The water parameters are all good and all my other fish are acting normally and eating well. I have this one fish (a yellow lab, I think) that has been hanging at the top of the tank the last couple of days and not eating. Today he was in the bottom corner and the other fish are starting to target him, but he's not moving around much. I moved him into small breeder basket, for now, to protect him.

The only thing that has been different at all lately, is the last couple weeks I started raising the PH, KH and GH. The PH was originally hanging around 7.4, but I wanted to move it on up to around 8, plus I had never really focused on hardness, either. Over a week or more, I gradually moved the PH up to 8, and the GH and KH to about 15 or so, with Epsom Salt and Baking Soda, but I think I have them a bit high at 20 now (still judging how to balance it). The only thing that seems out of the norm for the fish, is that his stomach is slightly sunken and he has a mild bulge near his anus, as you may see in the pictures.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks - pics below:

Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Photo1
Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Photo2
Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Photo3
Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Photo4
Back to top Go down
brokeashell
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
brokeashell

Favorite Fish: : Peacock Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 10:41 am

not a yellow lab (labidochromis caeruleus)... maybe a metriaclima msobo or pseudotropheus saulosi?
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 11:00 am

ignoring species i would treat with cloat or metronitazole. good look.
Back to top Go down
brokeashell
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
brokeashell

Favorite Fish: : Peacock Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 11:05 am

Yeah sorry, I didn't want to give treatment advice because I'm still a noob and don't have the experience to give such advice. Just trying to help in anyway I can. grr
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 11:10 am

yeah i agree with you it is nto a yellow lab but not sure it is a saulosi or msobo deep lol.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 11:11 am

it looks like a could be a red zebra to me.
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 11:13 am

Is this fish being picked on? Finnage looks to be in good shape. Possible bloat?

Definitely not a yellow lab or female saulosi. Looks to be a zebra.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 11:13 am

i think it is bloat.
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 11:19 am

Thanks. I thought bloat made the fish's belly large?
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 11:34 am

not always. sometimes (most of the time) they die before that can occur. either way the meds i listed should wipe out most internal infections.
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 11:59 am

I'm out of separate tanks, can I treat in the main tank?
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 12:02 pm

yeah just more $$$$
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 12:06 pm

Ahhhhh. Good point! Never used either med, or even heard of clout... Any advice?
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 12:07 pm

clout is a combo of several drugs. it kills just about everything.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 6:07 pm

Feed the rest of them with metro, but if he doesn't eat then I would move him to a different tank, but if u don't hav another tank, it's going to kill u with the treatment, metro costs round 10 to 12 bucks and that will only do a 100 gallon tank, so best bet is move fish around even in a temp hold put him/ her in the tank dose for at least 10 days then see how that goes.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 6:10 pm

Clout will kill scaleless fish!! Make sure u don't have any loaches in the tank, like dojo. Make sure that you don't have any scaleless fish.
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 7:49 pm

Thanks for all the input! I moved the fish to a 5 gal bucket with a filter and used Clout... we'll see how that goes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help my sick cichlid?   Can anyone help my sick cichlid? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can anyone help my sick cichlid?
Page 1 of 1