UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Warning: Don't mix Mosquto fish w/fancy guppies

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Warning: Don't mix Mosquto fish w/fancy guppies Empty
PostSubject: Warning: Don't mix Mosquto fish w/fancy guppies   Warning: Don't mix Mosquto fish w/fancy guppies Icon_minitime3/6/2011, 10:50 am

I had suspected that my recent 'feeder guppy' bulk purchase were actually mosquito fish. The more I researched, the more conclusive was my suspicion. But they've survived well with my young Dempseys and Bichirs - so I didn't care either way. Gives the predators something to chase - and this spring I'll just throw some of the surviving females in my ponds.

Then my son was given a homeless leopard gecko and we had to clean out his 10G fish tank immediately. So, without thinking much of it - I tossed all of his fancy guppies (from last year's pond) into my quaranteen tank. (with the little dempseys and extra mosquito fish)

It wasn't the JDs that attacked their fins - it was the mosquito fish! Now most have been eaten by the JDs - because they had no fins after one evening.

Moral of the story: Don't mix fancy guppies with these mosquito fish. They're meaner than JDs! star wars
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

Favorite Fish: : I love them all and snails!

Warning: Don't mix Mosquto fish w/fancy guppies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warning: Don't mix Mosquto fish w/fancy guppies   Warning: Don't mix Mosquto fish w/fancy guppies Icon_minitime3/12/2011, 11:57 pm

I got some freebie guppies from a few people...1 female had no color what-so-ever! But she was much larger and had a slight black stripe going down her eye... she looked very similar to the mosquito fish I catch in the local ponds during spring and summer... come to find out...after a month of living happily with the guppies...a lot of males started loosing tails and fins. Evil lil thing. Moved her into a new tank bto cycle it and she died... kinda glad because I didn't know what to do with her after the tank was cycled...
Back to top Go down

Warning: Don't mix Mosquto fish w/fancy guppies
Page 1 of 1