UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

DIY driftwood

Go down 
AuthorMessage
hello2196
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
hello2196

DIY driftwood Empty
PostSubject: DIY driftwood   DIY driftwood Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 10:00 pm

I'm trying to make some driftwood for my aquarium, I was wondering if anyone else has done it. I've already got a piece of wood (not quite sure what type), and I've brushed it off with a wire brush and gotten mostly all loose. I've done a good bit of research on my own, but what I want to know is whether to use boiling water or a bleach/water solution. Seeing as I've never done this before, I was hoping someone here had a little more experience in this area
Back to top Go down

DIY driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY driftwood   DIY driftwood Icon_minitime2/23/2011, 5:15 am

Pressure wash it if you can, but if it is small enough boil it, never use bleach on wood as the wood will soak it up and hold on to it. you mush also make sure that the wood is a hard wood and not some sort of soft wood, as soft wood will quickly decay in your tank causing all sorts if problems, to check this, cut into it a little bit, if the pores are close together and tightly packed then it is hard wood, and if they are loose and spaced out it is soft wood and also no good. then soak, i usually soak it iin the bath tub. or my back yard pond, this releases most of the tannins and allows it to soak up water and sink. other wise it will float in your tank. I sure hope this helps, I have DIY driftwood that i get from a local lake all the time.
Back to top Go down

DIY driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY driftwood   DIY driftwood Icon_minitime2/23/2011, 7:17 am

Never use any type of pine.
Back to top Go down
hello2196
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
hello2196

DIY driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY driftwood   DIY driftwood Icon_minitime2/23/2011, 8:48 am

I'm pretty surethat it's oak, but i'll double check in a lil bit
Back to top Go down

DIY driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY driftwood   DIY driftwood Icon_minitime2/23/2011, 10:09 am

as long as it's hardwood it's okay. Boiling is best. I weigh mine down with rocks and after 6 weeks remove the rock and 95% of the time it stays where it is or you can tie it to lighting egg crate and cover the crate with your gravel and rocks.
Back to top Go down
hello2196
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
hello2196

DIY driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY driftwood   DIY driftwood Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 5:27 pm

how long do I boil it for?
Back to top Go down

DIY driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Re: DIY driftwood   DIY driftwood Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 5:30 pm

I boil mine at least 25 min.