UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Waterlogging driftwood

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

Waterlogging driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Waterlogging driftwood   Waterlogging driftwood Icon_minitime11/1/2009, 10:53 am

It's been a month of waterlogging a 16" piece of malaysian driftwood. Its pretty thick, like 4" around and its been in my 20 gallon for a month now. It still floats whenever I take the rock of of it. I boiled it for 3 hours and it still floats. Is there any other fast way to waterlog it? The tannins are completely gone at this point.
Back to top Go down
R2 Ranch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
R2 Ranch

Favorite Fish: : Any that belong to me.

PostSubject: Re: Waterlogging driftwood   Waterlogging driftwood Icon_minitime11/1/2009, 1:13 pm

I have heard of people taking stainless steel screws and placing washers on them. Screw it into the wood and leave until water soaked.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Waterlogging driftwood   Waterlogging driftwood Icon_minitime11/1/2009, 2:43 pm

Boil it some more. Then re-soak. It may take a few tries but boiling usually works.
Back to top Go down
JACK D
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
JACK D

Favorite Fish: : My fish, your fish, red fish, blue fish...

PostSubject: Re: Waterlogging driftwood   Waterlogging driftwood Icon_minitime11/1/2009, 3:00 pm

Could be some crazy Malaysian hardwood. Might take awhile.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: Waterlogging driftwood   Waterlogging driftwood Icon_minitime11/1/2009, 4:09 pm

I'm getting tired of boiling it so I'm just going to tie it to the undergravel filter with some string.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Waterlogging driftwood   Waterlogging driftwood Icon_minitime11/1/2009, 5:03 pm

have you tried drilling a bunch of tiny holes in it and then boiling it so that the water actually will flow into the holes when submerged? might help when boiling the wood, especially when it expands with the heat and moisture of boiling it.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Waterlogging driftwood   Waterlogging driftwood Icon_minitime2/23/2010, 4:09 pm

ok i know this post is old but i have the same problem with my 24" piece!!!
and i can hoestly say that drilling whole doesnt work that great!!! just look for urself!!!!
Waterlogging driftwood 11t4but

i boiled it for about 4 hours a day for a week straight!!!!! and nothin!!! it still floats!!!
once i got one side to sink but the other half still floated!! i thought i was half way their but now the whole thing floats again!!! wat can i do???
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: Waterlogging driftwood   Waterlogging driftwood Icon_minitime2/23/2010, 4:19 pm

That wood is still live....not gonna sink
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Waterlogging driftwood   Waterlogging driftwood Icon_minitime2/23/2010, 4:25 pm

at all???
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

PostSubject: Re: Waterlogging driftwood   Waterlogging driftwood Icon_minitime2/23/2010, 4:26 pm

Probably not.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Waterlogging driftwood   Waterlogging driftwood Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 8:31 am

:(.....i worked so hard on makeing it holey!!!!!! Waterlogging driftwood 270682
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Waterlogging driftwood   Waterlogging driftwood Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Waterlogging driftwood
Page 1 of 1