UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Live plant aquarium kit

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Shea
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Live plant aquarium kit Empty
PostSubject: Live plant aquarium kit   Live plant aquarium kit Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 11:47 am

I bought this 25 gallon aquarium kit on sale, thought it was cute... I was told the tall green plants would spread runners and start new plants under the substrate. The reddish one, I bought as a potted plant with no id as well. I still need to get a background and might rob some driftwood from another tank to make it look better.
Hoping someone could ID these plants for me so I can know better how to take care of them. The kit came with Aqueon Plant food, is that good enough to keep these plants in good health?
This isn't going to be a home for the betta in the pic. He's just visiting right now.

Live plant aquarium kit 021
Live plant aquarium kit 019-1
Back to top Go down
SemperFish
Private First Class
Private First Class
SemperFish

Favorite Fish: : Any fish that does good in a planted aquarium.

PostSubject: Re: Live plant aquarium kit   Live plant aquarium kit Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 11:59 am

The potted plant looks like a red melon sword. The other looks like some sort of spiralis.

I'm not sure about the aqueon plant food, however seachem makes a plant food called flourish that works well. Once you get more fish and feed them there will be more nitrate and phosphate in the water for the plants to use. I do believe that aquarium kit (25 gallon live plant aquarium kit) comes with a coralife T-5 NO fixture which is great for growing low to medium light plants.

Back to top Go down
Shea
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Live plant aquarium kit   Live plant aquarium kit Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 12:14 pm

I'll pick up some Flourish, thank you for letting me know about it. Yes, the lights are dual T-5. I hope it's good enough for the red melon sword, I like the color. The one that might be spiralis, I was told grows like a weed.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Live plant aquarium kit   Live plant aquarium kit Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 12:23 pm

you will also need your macro's N,P,K. I like bright well aquatics.

the potted plant looks like a red rubin, or red melon amazon sword, and the tall plant looks like jungle val, or normal sag.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live plant aquarium kit   Live plant aquarium kit Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 12:27 pm

For the red sword it will need iron supplement to remain red also.
Back to top Go down
Shea
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Live plant aquarium kit   Live plant aquarium kit Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 12:31 pm

plantedtankdude wrote:

I don't know what that means.
It sounds scarry... affraid
Could you please explain?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live plant aquarium kit   Live plant aquarium kit Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 12:38 pm

those are chemical abbreviations nitrogen, phosphates and iron.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Live plant aquarium kit   Live plant aquarium kit Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 2:51 pm

***Link Plant Nutrients

Macro Nutrients

N: Nitrogen
P: Phosphorus
K: Potassium

Also included in Macros are: Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfur, Carbon (Carbon Dioxide, Calcium, and Magnesium being the only ones added normally***Oxygen via air stone as well as I don't know anyone who actually injects pure oxygen in their tank BOOM***

Micro Nutrients:

Sodium
Copper
Boron
Nickel
Chlorine
Zinc
Manganese
Iron
Molybdenum

Macro(Primarily NKP) are normally added separately due to different levels of concentration needed and different rates of uptake by plants
Macro nutrients are can be found in high enough quantities within SOME water supplies but most have to supplement NKP while things like oxygen are plentiful. Most people who are more heavily planted will increase the CO2 (Pressurized or DIY) because it aids in a plants ability to thrive.

Micro Nutrients are many but commonly found in a single batch to dose all at one time. (CSM-B) or (Seachem line of Micro) among many others. Depending on your water and needs you could dose more Fe (Iron).

Really simple version here but not as bad as it sounds to be honest.
Back to top Go down
SemperFish
Private First Class
Private First Class
SemperFish

Favorite Fish: : Any fish that does good in a planted aquarium.

PostSubject: Re: Live plant aquarium kit   Live plant aquarium kit Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 3:17 pm

Shea wrote:
plantedtankdude wrote:

I don't know what that means.
It sounds scarry... affraid
Could you please explain?

It's not scary. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are planning to have lots of live plants. If that's the case you'll have some homework to learn a little bit. I had a 29 gallon that was planted with several sword plants, water wisteria, java fern, horwort, and several other plants. The only thing I did was 25% weekly water changes, dosed seachem flourish, flourish iron, and it was a very nice planted tank. The fish poop and city water supplied the rest of the plant needs. The more plants you have the nutrients (micros and macros) you will have to dose.

Always ask, and I'm sure there will be plenty of folks like me that will chime in to help you out.
Back to top Go down
Snookemz
Sergeant
Sergeant
Snookemz

Favorite Fish: : believe it or not, I just love guppies.

PostSubject: Re: Live plant aquarium kit   Live plant aquarium kit Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 6:04 pm

flourish = miracle worker.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Live plant aquarium kit   Live plant aquarium kit Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 8:35 pm

Ohh So sorry I was brain dead K does= potassium.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Live plant aquarium kit   Live plant aquarium kit Icon_minitime2/22/2011, 9:17 pm

I got your back no worries funny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Live plant aquarium kit   Live plant aquarium kit Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Live plant aquarium kit
Page 1 of 1