UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Question for anchoring driftwood

Go down 
+3
strikingthematch
jessecichlidguy
williemcd
7 posters
AuthorMessage
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

Question for anchoring driftwood Empty
PostSubject: Question for anchoring driftwood   Question for anchoring driftwood Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 10:39 pm

My scavanged drift wood is now floating at the top of my tank... after a couple of weeks of being forced submerged.. I'm thinking that I can tie some fishing anchors with fishing wire to the wood and let the weights hold it down. Any toxic byproduct of the lead sinkers? Bill in Richmond, Va.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for anchoring driftwood   Question for anchoring driftwood Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 10:45 pm

You can also secure it to a piece of slate. with some bolts.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Question for anchoring driftwood   Question for anchoring driftwood Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 10:45 pm

yes dont do lead

if anything use egg crate and fishing line tie it to the egg crate and then pile you substrate on to it
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

Well I wouldn't stick lead in my tank I mean there is always the chance to leak some of the heavy metal into the water. I just use rocks or pretty much anything that sinks...

If you don't want to worry about the tank just take a suitable sized container and fill it with water. Then use anything to hold it down since it won't be in your tank.

I also recommend boiling the drift wood then sticking it in the water right after you are done. I had a stubborn piece that would NOT sink for months and finally I boiled it and stuck it in some rather cold water in a Tupperware container and wouldn't you know it... The next day it sank.
My belief is that it opens the little air pockets in the wood and makes it expand to allow water to seep deeper inside and thereby sinking it... just a guess though.

Last edited by strikingthematch on 2/18/2011, 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Question for anchoring driftwood   Question for anchoring driftwood Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 10:46 pm

no metal in the tank TOXIC
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Question for anchoring driftwood   Question for anchoring driftwood Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 10:48 pm

there are plastic bolts that i use that you can get at home depot or lowes.
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Question for anchoring driftwood   Question for anchoring driftwood Icon_minitime2/18/2011, 11:09 pm

I normally bolt it to slate using stainless steel bolts.
Back to top Go down
LvMyPuffer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
LvMyPuffer

PostSubject: Re: Question for anchoring driftwood   Question for anchoring driftwood Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 12:25 am

Stainless Steel nuts, the really big ones, easy to tie to anything. Unless your driftwood his really big.

Also PVC pipe with 2 screw on end caps, fill with dry sand and tie to the wood.

My piece of wood in my 46 gal was too heavy for all my other methods, so I ended up jamming a big slate rock into a big hole in the back for weight. Hoping someday it will stay down on it's own, but if not owell It's in the back.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Question for anchoring driftwood   Question for anchoring driftwood Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 12:43 am

Depending on how thick the wood is there are bolts with one side that is a wood screw and the other side is a bolt. You drill a hole in the wood tighten the wood screw side to the wood then drill a hole in a peice of rock (sandstone from a landscaping company or slate tiles work well) that is not too thick (usually requires a special bit/hammer bit) then just put a nut on the other end and now it should sink.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Question for anchoring driftwood   Question for anchoring driftwood Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 6:00 am

Most of my stubborn pieces are held down by slate that is Stainless screwed to the bottom . I have one smaller piece that is held down by , aquarium glued gravel to it as a base . And my big piece that takes up 2/3's of the 150g tank is held down by a large piece of rose quartz in the branch .
Just some thoughts ,, Ray
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for anchoring driftwood   Question for anchoring driftwood Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question for anchoring driftwood
Page 1 of 1