UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

1st sump pump

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

1st sump pump Empty
PostSubject: 1st sump pump   1st sump pump Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 12:38 pm

Ok dont laugh but I a few sump ques lol I am setting up my first one. The sump is max 300gph and my return pump will be around 260gph now does my canister filters 200gph should be figured in that or that has nothing to do with it? Also I have heard horror storries about sumps flooding the floor when the electric goes off or if the pump quits so how do you prevent that?
Back to top Go down
20sack
Private
Private

1st sump pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st sump pump   1st sump pump Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 12:46 pm

chech youtube they have some good vids on how to prevent the overflow
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

1st sump pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st sump pump   1st sump pump Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 8:05 pm

hmmm nobody knows the answer? not good for me LOL
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

1st sump pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st sump pump   1st sump pump Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 8:52 pm

fist off you dont need a canister filter if you are doing a sump with a return pump..

1st... i need to know if the tank is drilled for a return and drain.

2nd.. the pump returns 260 gallons at how many feet

3rd.. in order for the sump not to overflow you fill the tank until it starts draining into the sump then you fill up the sump about half way then plug in the return and let it flow.

4th.. turn the pump off and double check that the sump will not fill up and overflow.

5th.. check all plumbing be sure to put a swing check valve on the return line arrow up on the check valve that will allow water to go only into the tank and not out (remember the return line not the drain) also put ball valve on the return this will allow you too turn the pump off without unplugging it

any other questions pm me or just ask
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

1st sump pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st sump pump   1st sump pump Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 9:06 pm

The pump max is 420 and its gonna be pushing the water approx 42 inches and going by the performance chart of the pump it will be pushing 290 at 3 feet and 243 at 4 feet so im just guessing in between 3 and 4 feet will be around 260...This is a 13 gallon 300gph sump with an overflox box...So i dont need any more filteration (canister) ? Cause the max sump is only 300 gph the total tank volume will be 59 gallons minus about 10 % of coarse...And since i will have a uv sterilizer that has its own pump pushing water threw it does that gph need to be added in with the 260gph return pump or is that just diff all togather?
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

1st sump pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st sump pump   1st sump pump Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 9:11 pm

nope no need for the canister

dont worry about all the adding the gph none of that matters as long as the pump has enough umph to push the water if you follow all the advice i tell you then your golden

also from the pump into the uv out of uv into ball valve then to swing check valve or swing check/ball valve doesnt matter
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

1st sump pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st sump pump   1st sump pump Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 11:27 pm

just turning the valve off and leaving the pump plugged in wont damage it?
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

1st sump pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st sump pump   1st sump pump Icon_minitime2/12/2011, 5:03 am

Also , about Overflowing during power outages . A simple , inexpensive fix is to fill your tank till it starts to flow into the overflow , then mark your return hose 1/8th to 1/4 inch below the water line . Drill a small hole there . About a 1/8 will do fine . then when the power goes off and your tank starts to siphon out , when the water level gets to the hole , siphon is broken and water stops flowing .
Simple and inexpensive ,,, Ray
Back to top Go down
kinsol
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
kinsol

1st sump pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st sump pump   1st sump pump Icon_minitime2/12/2011, 10:46 am

The reason many sumps overflow is the return pipe starts pulling water back down thru the pump.
You should be able to have your tank and sump full.
The way to fix this is drill a hole on your return pipe the piece that falls inside the tank like an 1/8"hole about a 1/2" - 3/4"below the top.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

1st sump pump Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st sump pump   1st sump pump Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1st sump pump
Page 1 of 1