UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Help Java Moss not growing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

Favorite Fish: : Don't have a favorite to many of them "catch my eye" lol.

Help Java Moss not growing Empty
PostSubject: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 4:18 pm

I got different plants and they're alive, but not growing. Here's a pic of my sad lighting. Plan on getting better lighting when I can

Help Java Moss not growing Lights10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 4:24 pm

Java grows slow anyway so don't worry. Are you using any ferts for your plant? If so what type?
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 4:59 pm

I've had it over a year and it seems to be shrinking lol. I used seachem once. A cap full each of the Flourish and Flourish Excel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 6:15 pm

Use the excel like once a week and that will put some growth on your plants.
What K rating are your light bulbs? It should say on them.
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 6:31 pm

No clue the rating..will look tomorrow before I turn the lights on so they're not hot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 7:08 pm

Ok sounds good, you are after 10k or 65k or anything in between.
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 7:15 pm

well one bulb is only 5.5k. It's a zoo med T-8 Flora Sun Max Plant Growth. Only 15 watt cause it's only 18" No wonder there isn't enough light...lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 7:21 pm

so that is a 5,500 color light. decent.
I see you have 3 fixtures? One 4' one 18" and another little 18"ish?

How often are you doing water changes? Any more than once a week will take too many nutrients away from the plants. Less than once every 3 weeks is bad for them too.

I need to make the time soon to come see what you have going on
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 7:38 pm

lol yeah my fixtures are sad... As for WC I need to do one..been bad and haven't done one in a few weeks
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 8:05 pm

I've heard some people have had bad results using excel with Java Moss.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 9:55 pm

I doubt the lighting is the prob I have a 20 gall tank with just a 15 watt bulb and its only 3200 k ..and my java moss grows like crazy! Anything on the bottom of the tank doesnt get much light so you can put your moss up higher or just buy a clip on light and clip it on the side of your stand if theres enough overlap to clip it.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 10:53 pm

5,000 to 10,000 k will grow plants.. java moss is a really slow grower but will grow.
also keep up with the water changes and ferts....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 6:03 am

1/2 dose a week of the excel is all that is really needed for any plant.
Java moss does take quite some time to get going....
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 7:45 am

I couldn't find much on the other 2 bulbs. The big one is 35 watts that's all I could find.

Fern let me know what time and day is good for you if you would be able to come look at my tank. I'm always home lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 1:46 pm

I can't plan anything till my mom is out of the hospital.... I will let you know.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime2/5/2011, 1:42 pm

Looks like you've got clear glass/plexiglass over your tanks. Go get some 24" undercabinet strips from walmart. Change the bulbs to daylight bulbs - or growlight bulbs, either will work.

I get a good 1/4-1/2" of growth on my java moss. Greens up very fast and starts growing when a tablespoon of MgSO4 (epsom salt) per 5 gallons is added. Also does better when I'm feeding more shrimp pellets - most likely needs the phosphates. I use Flourish by Seachem once a week, and FloraMax substrate. I'm always cutting/harvesting it to make more every time it gets to 2.5"

I'm even getting 1/2" growth from my other mosses just 2 weeks after receiving them from Malasia, spreading them thinly in the growing mats and tossing them in my tanks. The tank I'm getting the fastest growth in is a 5G lit by one growlight bulb and a reptile daylight bulb (50W total) - and it's in a window.

As for the other plants - wish I'd remembered to bring my camera home to download pics. I've got a 29T lit by one walmart strip growlight and a 24" daylight spectrum bulb. (both sit on top of a piece of plexiglass) I'm literally getting 4-5 leaves per day on a bronze water lilly I started from a bulb and 2-3 leaves per day on some Amazon swords. Again, using the FloraMax substrate, once-per-week Flourish/Seachem, and MgSO4.

[img]Help Java Moss not growing Mosses10[/img]
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime2/5/2011, 5:10 pm

Just went and got a new light

Help Java Moss not growing Light10

Makes the tank a ton brighter, but now one of my EBJD don't seem to be acting normal :(
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime2/5/2011, 7:59 pm

That puts you in the mid light range cheers

Let me get things settled down with my mom and stuff and I can toss you together a bag of plants if you like? Just let me know how much you want to spend and I will bag accordingly Help Java Moss not growing 393849

The ebjd is just spooked by the light more than likely, if he isn't normal within 2-3 days then you worry.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 11:33 am

Don't worry about the EBJD. My two young ones freak out for a couple days whenever I change anything to do with their tank. They were even afraid of an apple snail for a few hours.
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 12:56 pm

Sounds good Fern. I'm picky on plants lol what plants do you have?

My ebjd was acting off before I changed the light :( I think he may have internal parasites as he has white stuff hanging from his rear
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 5:08 pm

lol! If you are picky you can come shopping in my tanks and sump lol!

You treating with general cure?
Back to top Go down
zeketaz
Sergeant
Sergeant
zeketaz

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 7:16 am

OOoo shopping for plants sounds fun :) Get everything settled with your mom and all and then we can go from there. I'm not in a big hurry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Java Moss not growing   Help Java Moss not growing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help Java Moss not growing
Page 1 of 1