UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

acrylic aquarium overlap

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

acrylic aquarium overlap Empty
PostSubject: acrylic aquarium overlap   acrylic aquarium overlap Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 12:31 pm

So i just setup a 20 gallon acrylic quaratine tank...My ques is the tank overlaps the stand i have it on by about 1.75 inch on both ends...i do not fill it up however i keep about 10-12 gallons in it...Have heard you should never let acrylic overlap
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: acrylic aquarium overlap   acrylic aquarium overlap Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 1:37 pm

Is will still stress the seams unless it is a completely molded unit tank. Is there a seam on the bottom? I would recommend at least a 1" plywood same size as tank underneath.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: acrylic aquarium overlap   acrylic aquarium overlap Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 1:38 pm

acrylic aquarium overlap 858205 cheers
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: acrylic aquarium overlap   acrylic aquarium overlap Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 2:34 pm

i agree never fill a tank if its not completely supported underneath whether it be glass or acrylic it will bust no matter how big the tank size is or as much water you put in it.......... STRESS FACTOR
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: acrylic aquarium overlap   acrylic aquarium overlap Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 2:44 pm

yes acrylic aquarium overlap 858205
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: acrylic aquarium overlap   acrylic aquarium overlap Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 7:32 pm

I don't know about acrylic tanks. Glass tank are strong enough to support themselves. Example 40g. breeder supported on one 18" side and the other end 18" end only 12'. Front and back sides 36" no support. Tank has been up 23 years that way.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: acrylic aquarium overlap   acrylic aquarium overlap Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 1:50 am

FishVixen wrote:
Is will still stress the seams unless it is a completely molded unit tank. Is there a seam on the bottom? I would recommend at least a 1" plywood same size as tank underneath.
Yes there is a seam on the bottom
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: acrylic aquarium overlap   acrylic aquarium overlap Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 9:38 am

Dr. Who They do not make tanks like they use to.
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: acrylic aquarium overlap   acrylic aquarium overlap Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 12:31 pm

lol well i went ahead and put it on the floor LOL...its a seaclear....I use to have an older 55 gallon seaclear thats was as thick as i have ever seen very strong but i never got to use it cause i didnt have the patience to get all the scratches out of it (had alot of minor to moderate scratches) so i sold it and the stand for 50 bucks LOL.........
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: acrylic aquarium overlap   acrylic aquarium overlap Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 12:34 pm

Fishvixen the 40 breeder is 1/4" sides and 3/8 bottoms.
Back to top Go down
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

PostSubject: Re: acrylic aquarium overlap   acrylic aquarium overlap Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 12:37 pm

on the acrylic tanks being scratched you really cant see the scratches when full of water unless they are deep and looks like someone sanded it with coarse grit paper
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: acrylic aquarium overlap   acrylic aquarium overlap Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 2:03 pm

Dr. Who I'm not talking about the glass but the plastic trim which helps stabilize the seams. They started making thinner plastic trims about 15 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: acrylic aquarium overlap   acrylic aquarium overlap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

acrylic aquarium overlap
Page 1 of 1