UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Frontosa is not eating

Go down 
+2
Elrollo
watchitrain
6 posters
AuthorMessage
watchitrain
Private
Private
watchitrain

Frontosa is not eating Empty
PostSubject: Frontosa is not eating   Frontosa is not eating Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 5:59 pm

I have a 6" male Frontosa that is not eating as far as I can tell. I got him from a friend with 6 labs a week ago. The lads are eating. My friend was feeding them tropical flake food and not much of it. I have tried several different kinds of food. The fish have been in a 90 gallon for 8 years or so. He looks ok but is slowly moving around. I dont know anything about fronts. All water tests ok. PH is 8.3. Temp is 76. Any advise will be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Frontosa is not eating   Frontosa is not eating Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 6:26 pm

Large new life spectrum pellets and some frozen krill
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Frontosa is not eating   Frontosa is not eating Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 1:16 am

Have you tried any of the garlic additives....a couple of my discus were not eating after I put them in their new homes...Added some garlic (seachem variety) to their flake foods they went crazy.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Frontosa is not eating   Frontosa is not eating Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 8:39 am

ask Khrister. But from what I know....if the Fronts are in another tank with other species they are not aggressive eaters. Frontosa are calm , they like deep and darker areas of the water. Frontosa are from the bottom of the lakes. They are real calm fish. Might want to try something that sinks. Frontosa is not eating 772341
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Frontosa is not eating   Frontosa is not eating Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 8:56 am

Iagree
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: Frontosa is not eating   Frontosa is not eating Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:02 am

How did you get your PH that high? Did you acclimate it well. My water off the tap is about 7.6. Anyhow, I suggest you fast it for a week. Then try to feed it sinking pellets like NLS. Maybe he is still trying to adapt to his new environment and water parameter. It is hard to fast a fish on a community tank though. I also agree with Kory. Fronts are opportunistic feeder, not as aggressive as mbunas. They are fast but in short burst, not like the hyper Mbunas. Observe him closely. Try fasting the tank for a week, feed in the dark and see if he goes for the food.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Frontosa is not eating   Frontosa is not eating Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:43 am

Agree 100% with Khrister, Some fish may take a little longer to adjust. The two types of fish you have are totally different. Allow a little more time. Thx
Back to top Go down
watchitrain
Private
Private
watchitrain

PostSubject: Re: Frontosa is not eating   Frontosa is not eating Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 1:49 pm

khrister wrote:
How did you get your PH that high?

My tap water is mid 8's here in Little Elm, TX well water. I did acclimate carefully. Tested the water thoroughly. I did put a few Attack cichlid pellets in everyday to try to get the fish off of the tropical fish flake food. Finally the front started digging for food today and has not stopped for an hour. Awesome!

Thanks to everyone for all the advise. I learned alot.

Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: Frontosa is not eating   Frontosa is not eating Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 3:18 pm

Good to know. BTW when I receive new fish in, I do not feed them for 24-48 hours. I don't expect them to eat anyway when they are stressed from the move or shipping.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frontosa is not eating   Frontosa is not eating Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Frontosa is not eating
Page 1 of 1