UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.

Go down 
+6
mike205
CSnyder00
Shaysfishys
Holey Rock of Texas
kinsol
KMX
10 posters
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Empty
PostSubject: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 8:32 am

Vet William Wildgoose explains why you should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.

A zoonosis is the term that describes an infectious disease that spreads from animals through to humans and vice versa — such as coming into contact with infected fish water.
Mycobacterium, the bacteria that cause TB in fish, is one of the few common zoonotic infections in the hobby, and is a very good reason to take extra care when carrying out maintenance on your fish tank.

What signs will a fish show of having TB?
The bacteria will cause a chronic disease over weeks and months, resulting in abscesses throughout the body.
The symptoms will depend on which organs are affected and can physically appear as weight loss, colour change, skin sores and abdominal swelling.
Many small fish may show no specific outward signs but die after displaying lethargy and showing anorexia.
Diagnosis requires an autopsy and laboratory tests to identify the lesions and bacterial organism.
There is as yet no effective treatment for the disease, which can persist in fish and in its water for many months.

How do fishkeepers become infected and what are the symptoms?
Fishkeepers will get infected through direct contact with that infected water, particularly if they have open skin wounds.
In humans, the organism generally produces chronic skin lesions on the hands and arms. These fail to heal and may require months of treatment.
These will often resemble other types of skin disease, may initially be misdiagnosed and require a dermatologist’s opinion in order the pinpoint the cause.
Humans who are immuno-compromised following chemotherapy or have HIV infections are at more risk of contracting zoonosis and may develop a life-threatening illness.

How can I reduce the risk of catching a zoonosis?
Hobbyists can practise good hygiene, such as wearing arm-length gloves or thoroughly washing any exposed skin with antibacterial soap.

You should never prime syphons by using your mouth.

You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. 102652 You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. 102652 You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. 102652 You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. 102652 You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. 102652
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 9:42 am

So Is fishy TB the same as reptile TB?
I have been exposed to the reptile one when I was younger......
Back to top Go down
kinsol
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
kinsol

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 10:21 am

A while back I was looking into getting arm length gloves and eventually just let the idea go. I know many times I've stuck my hands in the water while having cuts after reading this I think I better get some.
Thanks for the info Kory.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 10:43 am

yep. crazy stuff.
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 11:36 am

Had read about this, a few years ago a girl from another forum had gotten this, she was having a horrible time getting the area to heal up. This is something that is always there in the back of your head after reading.

Myself, even when I think about using gloves doesn't happen but after I clean & such in the tanks the first thing I do is use the antibacterial soap, do this in between tanks for the most part though bad about it when I'm doing the top row on the rack.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 12:12 pm

I just wash my hands with hot water and a little soap after I do my water changes and what not.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:32 pm

Me too. I always wash up to my elbows afterward. And I use a Python No-Spill! lol Greatest invention ever.
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:40 pm

thanks for the info im real bad about starting a syphon with my mouth
but i do wash my hands after messing with my tanks
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:44 pm

This may be a different topic, There has been a few times that while starting a siphon I have gotten a monthful of aquarium water. I know this is not good, but I wonder what could result from this unfortunate mistake? I'm sure this has happened to many of us at one time or another.
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:53 pm

Happens to me all the time ornate12. I guess if it doesn't kill you it only makes you stronger.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:56 pm

Yea I don't say anything about this to wife LOL
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 3:28 am

That's one of those literally don't kiss and tell things!! LOL
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 9:19 am

I am one with the fish.....I figure...WHAT THE HELLL!!! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/17/2011, 8:51 am

Okay guys I'm worried look what showed up in the past 4 hours between my thumb and first finger and hurts like he!!. Excuse the arthritic hands!
You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Hand002
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/17/2011, 7:27 pm

There's a wonderful article on MB in the Feb Aquarium Fish International magazine (pg 40). I was rather fascinated since environmental micobacterium were what I focused on for my bio degree.

BTW - My original interest in the subject is because there is an older theory that Rheumatoid Arthritis has a micobacterium as the causative agent. The treatment protocol for this theory has put both my mother and I into remission - without destroying our immune systems (like all those advertised RA drugs do) ... Ok, back to the topic of aquatic MB...

Now, a wide variety of MB species are found in the environment. They are known to cause quite a few diseases in livestock and humans. The key with micobacterium is that the host's immune system must be compromised in some way before the majority of the infections become pronounced enough for symptoms to develop. (In the cases of fish TB passing to human) Now, it's one of those microbes that you cannot keep out of the aquarium environment - so you're stuck with dealing with it.

Besides using UV sterilizers to bring active fish TB cases under control by lowering the MB population and your exposure - here's a few other things you can do: Wash hands/arms after tank maintainance; do not put hands with open sores into tank; if you are immuno-compromised (like I was for the year I was on prednisone) treat any open sores on hands/arms with alcohol several times a day - especially after dealing with aquarium.

In my own personal experience (when I was immuno-compromised for a year), any sores on my hands became inflamed after I worked in the aquariums. They were much slower to heal - but with almost hourly doses of either straight alcohol or alcohol hand sanitizer (my excuse was that I was a teacher. I was constantly using the stuff) the sores healed in about 2-3 weeks. Normally, they would've healed in 10 days.

Your fish may look fine and healthy - just remember that just like the tetanus bacterium - the micobacterium are still there and always will be...
Back to top Go down
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime1/17/2011, 9:38 pm

i taste my water every so often LOL and usually have dried cracked hands in the winter but im not worried one ounce about it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.   You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

You should take extra care when maintaining your aquarium.
Page 1 of 1