UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Those that breed Leleupi

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jwerner2
Private
Private
Jwerner2

Favorite Fish: : Alto Comps.

Those that breed Leleupi Empty
PostSubject: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/19/2009, 9:06 pm

Have you ever had a female that will lay eggs in a odd spot and pluck them off over the amount of about 2-3 days and hide them somewhere else?

I looked everywhere and I have not seen any posts on any forum about this but mine do it all the time.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/19/2009, 9:19 pm

have you ever had any fry from this female? I've never seen a fish do that.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/19/2009, 10:04 pm

My Honduras Convict would do that alllllll the time. Very normal for a female to do that.
Back to top Go down
MIKEJ0226
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
MIKEJ0226

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/19/2009, 10:48 pm

That's really weird that you bring this up. My female lelupei laid eggs 2 days ago under a piece of slate and moved all the eggs to a cave and is now eating them if I look in the cave with a flashlight. Now I'm just letting her do her own thing and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/19/2009, 10:53 pm

See the orange cone thing I circled? Thats what they have breed in for me and she did not move them.

Those that breed Leleupi Leleup13
Back to top Go down
Jwerner2
Private
Private
Jwerner2

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/20/2009, 8:07 am

nitty wrote:

Lots of them.

She does it most if they are laid out in the open, like say on the front or side glass. My male never cares where they are placed either. He will always fertilize them and help her for a few days till she gets them dug in at another spot of the tank. He dont move them, he just guards them.

I got into a argument with a kid at ork about fish having 3 second memory. They play a commercial on the radio and it says something stupid about fish having a 3 second memory and I told him thats wrong and used something like this as a example but he dont believe me.

fighting
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/20/2009, 8:30 am

Thats why when I walk in the room the fish go staight to the top b/c they remember thats where there the food is.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/20/2009, 8:33 am

Jwerner2 wrote:
nitty wrote:

Lots of them.

She does it most if they are laid out in the open, like say on the front or side glass. My male never cares where they are placed either. He will always fertilize them and help her for a few days till she gets them dug in at another spot of the tank. He dont move them, he just guards them.

I got into a argument with a kid at ork about fish having 3 second memory. They play a commercial on the radio and it says something stupid about fish having a 3 second memory and I told him thats wrong and used something like this as a example but he dont believe me.

fighting

Fish are smarter then some kids, some kids have a 2sec. memory(lol).

I'll always dealt with mouthbrooders, mostly Fronts, Peacocks, Yel. Labs.

I have a breeding pair of Honduran Red Points though. But I haven't seen any eggs yet.
I would like to see that.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/20/2009, 8:37 am

How big are the Hond. Convicts? Mine breed like rabbits.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/20/2009, 8:43 am

The male is 3 1/2" and the female is maybe 2". Thay play all the time but no spawning.
Back to top Go down
Jwerner2
Private
Private
Jwerner2

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/20/2009, 8:49 am

My fish know when I come home and get a bit more active. But, when I pull out the fish food even if Im not in front of the tank and they see it thats when they get really active.

He told me its instinct, yup thats what it is-instinct-cause fish instinctively take food from a container of NLS right.

We do have a pond display at work with 3 fan tails in it. I showed him they get a bit excited with our presence, then they get really crazy when they see the container of food. I showed him how they back away when they see the python. I had him note how when customers look in they dont care but when I or other employees that feed them get close they know and acknowledge us. Stubborn fool still believes in the myth.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/20/2009, 8:51 am

hmm. They should soon.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/20/2009, 8:53 am

Jwerner2 wrote:
My fish know when I come home and get a bit more active. But, when I pull out the fish food even if Im not in front of the tank and they see it thats when they get really active.

He told me its instinct, yup thats what it is-instinct-cause fish instinctively take food from a container of NLS right.

We do have a pond display at work with 3 fan tails in it. I showed him they get a bit excited with our presence, then they get really crazy when they see the container of food. I showed him how they back away when they see the python. I had him note how when customers look in they dont care but when I or other employees that feed them get close they know and acknowledge us. Stubborn fool still believes in the myth.

LOL love your avator. You should post some pics.
Back to top Go down
Jwerner2
Private
Private
Jwerner2

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/20/2009, 9:18 am

I take really crappy pics when it comes to tanks and fish. That one was a fluke trust me..lol!

My bow front cycling after I moved.
Those that breed Leleupi Dsc01210

My avatar pic.

Those that breed Leleupi Hpim0610

Those that breed Leleupi Video_10

The rest are really crapy and not worth posting, worse than the tall shot of the tank art and pendant.

BTW, I didnt get any pics for a write up but the pendant is a DIY.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/20/2009, 10:00 am

What ever dude. These are really nice pics. Better then some of the pics I take.
Back to top Go down
nelson101
USA Fishbox Sponsor

Favorite Fish: : Don't have one

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 4:49 pm

Hey just to give you all a heads up...Scientific evidence has proven that cichlids have the mentality of a 4 year old child.. No they are not dumb by any means but you have to remember they are not human and when there natural instinct kicks in it may seem dumb to us. But in their there world it is survival of the fittest...
Back to top Go down
Jwerner2
Private
Private
Jwerner2

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/24/2009, 10:26 pm

nelson101 wrote:
Hey just to give you all a heads up...Scientific evidence has proven that cichlids have the mentality of a 4 year old child.. No they are not dumb by any means but you have to remember they are not human and when there natural instinct kicks in it may seem dumb to us. But in their there world it is survival of the fittest...

Im having a hard time understanding your point?

Are you just making a statement or arguing ours?

In my opinion, even a 4 year old level for something that is not human is beyond impressive.
Back to top Go down
nelson101
USA Fishbox Sponsor

Favorite Fish: : Don't have one

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime9/25/2009, 6:53 am

NO...NO....NO.... I was making a statement... I was just saying that cihlids are not dumb they are accually smart and I wanted to back that up by saying scientists have poven that. By all means a 4 year old child or something that has that mentality level that is not human is beyond impressive, I agree.
When I said natural instinct kicks in and it seems dumb to us because most mothers would not abandin their baby to save themselves but in nature some cichlids of fish may leave their young to protect themselves. So in compasison it may seem dumb to use.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Those that breed Leleupi   Those that breed Leleupi Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Those that breed Leleupi
Page 1 of 1