UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!

Go down 
+4
Fish_Love
KMX
nitty
S&FW_FishyFriend
8 posters
AuthorMessage
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Empty
PostSubject: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/17/2009, 9:46 pm

I just got 2 free 65 gallon tanks (51" L X 18" T X 20" D) from a fish store that went out of business... Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! 265353 So I'm thinking of getting into cichlids and thought who better to ask for advice, than you guys! I am probably wanting to get medium sized (once adult) South American cichlids, but am open to any suggestions. I like bright vibrant colors, prefer the streamlined look (not oscar) and enjoy watching interesting fish interactions. Based on that, what do you guys think would best suit my tank size and preferences? I am new to cichlids so need as much info as possible, I've already gotten a book on them and have started reading. I appreciate any and all advice and/or suggestions! fish
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/17/2009, 11:04 pm

PEACOCKS
PEACOCKS
PEACOCKS
PEACOCKS
PEACOCKS
PEACOCKS
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/18/2009, 8:27 am

Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! 858205 They fit what you want
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/18/2009, 8:35 am

If you want SA/CA Cichlids then I wouldnt mix them with Africans. It usaually ok in the beginning but once they get a little older aggression really starts to kick in. If you want a Afrian tank you should do some Tangs, or Mbunas. If you do the Mbunas you can throw some peacocks in the mix. If you do SA/CA Cichlids the EBJD has very nice colors. I would stay away from breeding pairs b/c they will isolate one side of the tank. Might aswll put them in there own tank.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/18/2009, 9:23 am

Thanks guys! This has been really helpful! I can't decide yet if I want to go African, or SA/CA yet... I'm torn, cause those Peacocks are awfully colorful, but I love the SA/CA too! Maybe both tanks will have to be cichlids (both 65s) and one tank for each continent! Lol, but I kinda don't want that cause then I wouldn't have a tank for another saltwater endeavor! But if I made 2 cichlid tanks then I would have to buy a new Saltwater tank and maybe get one over 100 gallons... But then my husband my divorce me, jk, lol! Oh, so many decisions! What types of hides and holes do you recommend for cichlids, plus where's a good place to get them? Do they enjoy just regular aquarium gravel, or do they prefer a different type- maybe they don't care?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/18/2009, 9:26 am

I do sand for my Cichlids and Holey rock. I get my rock from Whiz Q. I just give it a real good wash down before it goes in the tank. I wash off with the hose at fist and then old tank water before I put them in the tank. Or you can boil the rock that will kill anything harful that is still hanging on the rock ( like bad bacteria you cant see) Here is a pic of my show tank.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/18/2009, 9:28 am

Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Rock-s11
Back to top Go down
Fish_Love
Sergeant
Sergeant
Fish_Love

Favorite Fish: : German Red Peacock

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/18/2009, 9:34 am

Peacocks! Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! 265353
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/18/2009, 9:59 am

DO NOT BOIL ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It can explode if you boil it! I would recommended a water bleach mix soak then a heavy duty water and dechlorinator soak and wash it very well several times.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/18/2009, 10:18 am

I boil my Holey rock all the time. My brother and I both do it. I have boiled over 1,000 LBs before for 20 mins at a time. I have never herd of rock exploading and if it dose I would actaully like to see that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/18/2009, 1:26 pm

Most rocks have small air pockets in them that can expand during the boiling process and cause explosions.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/18/2009, 1:29 pm

I have never boiled anything but holey rock. As far as I know it works.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/18/2009, 1:35 pm

I like my bleach dip method..... I don't want to chance rock and water all over my kitchen...
I gather most of my rock locally and just to a vinegar test to be sure it wont screw with the PH too bad. I would rather do that myself with coral and shell or wood for the other end of the spectrum rolling eye

I say go with peacocks
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/18/2009, 3:03 pm

well if your numbers are right your tank is bigger then 65 gal more like 80 US gal so that's an awesome size for most cichlids. I wish I got one for free. lucky.

I'm all about south American cichlids I have a few differnt kinds. I have yet to meet one I don't like well the oscars I think are over rated but thats besides the point. I'm getting a 100 gal tank next year I will tell you what I will be keeping to give you an idea.

1 green severum
1 gold severum
1 port acara
1 blue acara
1 BN pleco I have to have one in every tank just because I love them.

SA cichlids come is all shapes and sizes they are all full of personality and are very entertaining. I personaly thinks it's more ful to keep one of each kind and watch them interact then to keep a pair. I have a blue acar pair and I split them up so I could have differnt kinds. It is so much more fun to watch each fish do thier own thing then to watch 2 fish bother eachother.

Side note
I have boiled rocks I felt like a crazy person boiling rocks on my stove like they were noodles . none exploded I boiled big ones and gravle. I only would keep them in the boiling water for 2 min. Finding your own rocks it the best way to do it. Just make sure you don't get any that will mess with the ph. Limestone will raise it if you go with afericans than you might like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/18/2009, 3:22 pm

Oh its great my BF came home one day and I'm in the kitchen with a big pot on the stove. He asks "what are you cooking? It smells good" My reply "wood.... Its whats for dinner" haha
Back to top Go down
anthonyoakes
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : all of the cichlids i wanta breeding colony of em all.....:)
got tanks need to fill them up now

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/19/2009, 11:37 am

never seen rock blow up either
Back to top Go down
chevy350
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
chevy350

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/19/2009, 12:35 pm

I have had rock blow up in my face. But I had a torch on them. FYI never do that. It hurts
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/19/2009, 2:23 pm

Yeh, using your measurements, I came up with 80 gal also.
and
I would recommend peacocks!
Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! 23_11_61
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/19/2009, 7:53 pm

I was measuring by the internal dimensions to gauge the Gallonage, and I listed the external dimensions... I guess I won't know for sure till I fill it! LOL! All I know is that it's _ _ gallons of FREE tank!!!!!!!!!! X 2!!!!!!!!!!! Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! 265353
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime9/20/2009, 7:27 am

Hey free tanks are always great!!!!
Back to top Go down
seminoleranch
Private First Class
Private First Class
seminoleranch

Favorite Fish: : Currently my DoJo's they spend hours playing but over all if it has fins I am there.

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime4/25/2010, 7:47 am

Rock will blow up, I have not heard it doing so being boiled but heard it will happen if you put it in the oven. Just as it was stated it has air pockets that will expand when being heated. I do boil mine but I only place them in for a couple of minutes then let them cool and repeat a few more times. I have also used Fern's method for larger rocks or ones that seem less dense as I felt they most likely had a lot of air holes in them and ran a greater risk.
Fern, the husband here has learn he might need to double check the pot on the stove before getting to excited, to see dirty filters in the tub and to drive as fast as he can past any place that might contain a fish when I am in the truck with him lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!   Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking of starting a Cichlid tank... suggestions please!
Page 1 of 1