UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)

Go down 
+6
jaiko1975
elfwolfe
CajunGator
istrober
James0816
2SciCrazed
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Empty
PostSubject: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 7:54 am

I've had such good luck with Marima Moss balls and regular Java Moss flats/ferns in my unheated 10G at home - I've decided to turn it into a planted tank with mostly different types of aquatic moss instead of plants.

The fish are glofish, O.algae eaters and dwarf shrimp. So they stand out well against a green backdrop.

Ideas for types of moss?

Here are some of the aquascapes that have really inspired me to use mosses:

[img]Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Moss_b10[/img]
[img]Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Christ10[/img]
[img]Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Big_mo10[/img]

Last edited by 2SciCrazed on 1/13/2011, 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 8:14 am

My personal fav is Fissidens. Makes a beautiful wall.

Subwassertang would be good choice followed by Pellia.

And if you have a nice branchy piece of driftwood .... "true" weeping moss.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 8:18 am

I lke the java moss, grows super quick..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 10:32 am

I love mosses I just can't find them cheap enough so I stick with the good old Java.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 10:40 am

cool, well done.. love that moss too...
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 11:36 am

I googled weeping moss, and it looks cool, it is just a slow grower.... While I was looking that up, I found a really neat DIY dea with moss (and I want to do it, just have to wait a little bit) here http://www.aquamoss.net/How%20to%20create%20a%20moss%20wall/How%20to%20create%20a%20moss%20wall.htm Im not sre what kind of moss they used (Im sure one of the plant goorus could tell us Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) 393849), but its an idea for your tank.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 11:59 am

I'd wanna say Peacock or Tiawan. Let me find a pic of my Sub ledge.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 12:02 pm

Here's a shot of it right after I planted the ledge:
Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) PlantedLedge

And the latest pic which as you can see needs a major trim. You should actually see it now. :o)
Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Sub_092410
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 12:12 pm

I was doing some more poking around looking for more info on aquatic mosses (as I know nuthin about them) and found another site that had the same moss wall as the first link, and they had used "christmas moss" which looks really nice. It said that it could be used as floating, achored to driftwood or rock (which they recomend) or as a wall.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 12:25 pm

http://stores.ebay.com/aquaticmagic

Found a nice selection at reasonable prices at this ebay store. I've put in low-ball offers on basically every moss I don't have as well as some of the aquascaping supplies.

I'll draw out my idea for the 10G aquascape tonight once I know what I'm getting. But basically, it's going to be a really wild natural scape involving crystallin Fluorite pathways, large natural Fluorite specimen focal points and gently rolling masses of mosses with Java Fern backdrop. (Fluorites will be properly sealed before putting in tank)

It'll look kewl in natural light - but SPECTACULAR under blacklight! My glofish/painted glass fish and the crystals will glow with unexpected colors and vibrancy!
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 12:32 pm

Did you bid on the Star Moss? Just had to ask so you would know that it isn't truely aquatic. Just a heads up.
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 12:55 pm

dude! You are so evil!!!! I have been trying to stay away from ebay and then you put that up.... I ended up placing a bid on some .o1 java fern! *Bad me, bad me, I know I souldnt do that, but I could not help it!!!*
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 1:12 pm

They are the seller that sent me java moss as Christmas moss. Buyer beware.
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 1:25 pm

FishVixen wrote:
They are the seller that sent me java moss as Christmas moss. Buyer beware.

Ahhh, Thanks for the heads up Vixen, I was just debating on some christmas moss; now I know to nix it as far as getting it from them! (you just saved a buyer, lol)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 1:36 pm

Also 2 plants I paid for were not allowed through customs so the shipment was delayed and half the plants were dead. This was over a year ago so unless they have opened a US site do not buy from overseas. Stay with USA sellers.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 2:24 pm

A lady from virginia send me ones a small piece of xmas moss she had growing in a rain barrel outside her house. this was the greenest moss i ever seen. i Still have a huge piece in my 55g.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 2:27 pm

That's the best way to get any plants is from someone who is in the hobby not a retailer. IMO anyway.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 2:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up on potential shipping issues and such. I was turned on to them by another customer who had a good experience. With every business - sometimes things go bad.

I've already locked in the bids and offers, so if they accept then I stuck. However, I will ask about looking into 3-Day FedEx shipping on the order.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 9:37 pm

Couldn't help but to tie a few of the mosses that just arrived to some rocks and drop them in. This is definitely christmas moss. Very thick stemmed and nothing like my precocious java moss. Can't wait for a few weeks to go by and see these guys recover from the trip and start to cover their rocks.

apparently this seller has changed a bit. We'll see if he replaces the pellia moss that didn't pull through well. The others: Christmas, Weeping and Flame look like they handled the trip just fine.

(psssst - or maybe Federal budget cuts have thinned out customs officers?????)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 9:40 pm

Pics?
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 9:48 pm

worthlesswopic
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 10:09 pm

Here's the full shot. Little foggy since I just disturbed the substrate. Front three squares are my original sheets of Java moss, the first tier of stones on left/right sides are covered in my original marimino moss.

New moss introductions today: On either side of the crystal centerpiece I placed stones with weeping moss. Right above them are the stones with christmas moss (not as green/happy as the others with shipping. But it'll green up soon!) and on either side of the dwarf hair grass clumps (not the best condition - but it's new and starting to green. the grass I mean) are stones with bright green flame moss.

[img]Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Mosses10[/img]

[img]Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Mosses11[/img]

[img]Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Mosses12[/img]

[img]Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Mosses13[/img]

And finally, the extra orders. The basically dead Pellia is on the left, Weeping at the top, Flame on the right. I'll probably strap the Weeping/Flame onto some rocks Monday night so that I can drop them in the planted tank at school Tues.

[img]Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Mosses14[/img]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 10:49 pm

NICE!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 10:57 pm

Cool! I never really got into the funky mosses but they look nice!
Back to top Go down
Petersmonkey
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Petersmonkey

Favorite Fish: : Angels

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime1/13/2011, 11:01 pm

I want some lol !

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)   Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aquatic Mosses (pics added to thread)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next