UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Undergravel filters

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Undergravel filters Empty
PostSubject: Undergravel filters   Undergravel filters Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 12:08 am

I seem them in use at LFS but most of the aquarium people I know do not use them. When I first started with fish 20 years ago an UGF and powerheads were all the rage. Now it seems people are going towards cannister/hob filters. I was just wonderinf if these filters are still viable...I have a 90 gallon with an UGF I can use. Since I am going to be setting it up for display/plant growth tank will the UGF pose any problems in the future?

Thanks as always for any suggestions/tips/comments
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Undergravel filters   Undergravel filters Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 12:15 am

I found UGF a pain with planted tanks the roots get all tangled in them and you have to tear the tank down to clean them. Yes when I steally st were just rarted in 1966 theyarting with the silent giant air pump.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Undergravel filters   Undergravel filters Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 8:24 am

Ya they are no good with planted tanks.
They are pretty much obsolete, much better filtration is available. With UGF all the gunk stays in the tank and is a pain to get out, with all other methods you can get the gunk out..... so ya not the best filtration any more.

One awesome use for them is in a cichlid tank where you are going to use a lot of rocks! Just lay the plates down before everything an you end up with a very nice way to distribute the weight of the rock pile!
I still have some of my old UGF's for just that reason, the plates could also be used as temp tank dividers in a pinch.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Undergravel filters   Undergravel filters Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 4:22 pm

good idea using the UGF as a divider
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Undergravel filters   Undergravel filters Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 4:41 pm

Well they fit the tank with and have nice holes all through them......
Not that I have used them as such yet but the thought had crossed my mind!
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Undergravel filters   Undergravel filters Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 5:02 pm

Actually the one I have fits a 75,90,110 and comes in two plates one plate fits nicely top to bottom in the 90...good idea thanks fern
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Undergravel filters   Undergravel filters Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 5:28 pm

Back in the day I also used UGF in every tank that I had,but I don't use them anymore.As Fern and Fishvixen said there not good for live plants.I work part time at a LFS and they don't even order them anymore and the ones that they still have instock are about 5 years old and used to have dust all over them until I cleaned them a couple of weeks ago.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Undergravel filters   Undergravel filters Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 6:09 pm

I've used them as dividers and they work great. The up tubes I cover in silicone and roll in sand and gravel mix for caves. Just read my other post I meant was When I first started aquariums in 1966 they were just becoming popular.

I Hate computers! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Undergravel filters   Undergravel filters Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 8:46 pm

Ya you got your Mords Wixed up!! lol!

I have the tubes from mine tossed into fry tanks that I have pleco fry and cichlid fry in, it gives the lil plecos a hidey spot.
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Undergravel filters   Undergravel filters Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 8:54 pm

I still have several tanks that I use them in. Just because they have been around forever doesn't mean that they don't work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Undergravel filters   Undergravel filters Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 10:06 am

Oh I know they do work but there are better options now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Undergravel filters   Undergravel filters Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 10:23 am

Oh they work I just find they are more work to take care of. I use to "power flush" them to remove sediment and the tank would be filthy for a couple of days. They are just a pain with heavily planted tanks is all I'm saying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Undergravel filters   Undergravel filters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Undergravel filters
Page 1 of 1