UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

re doing 55g planted

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

re doing 55g planted Empty
PostSubject: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 7:31 am

yesterday i got really frustrated with my 55g planted and took the whole tank apart( do to the large loss of acaras), I'm getting rid off the community fish and replacing them with cichilds.

Any subjections like what kinds of cichlid can i keep in a planted aquarium( dwarf south Americans?)

PLEASE I NEED SOME HELP FROM YOU GUYS. fish

H E L P !!

Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 7:59 am

Most cichlids and plants don't get along for the most part. I would look for crypts, java fern to name a couple that should work.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 9:58 am

I also had amazon they were growing above the water line, one took half of the 55g long and other took the other half. I had some java fern in there but it burn out must of it had to trash it..i don't run clay gravel only reg gravel so its hard for plants to anchor on the button. also James i was thinking of removing the gravel placing a layer of top soil then of sand then replanting the plants i have left. or getting new ones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 10:04 am

angels or discus are great in planted tanks also kribensis are easy on plants. I myself have angels and kribs in planted tanks.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 10:10 am

I like Kribs myself vixen..good idea also angels sound good i like those koi angels
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 11:57 am

I have african cichlids on a planted tank and never had a problem with.. i agree with vixen you can try discus too..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 2:49 pm

apistogrammas will work with plants.
Any of the carnivorous cichlids will work with plants.
Pretty much any cichlid you can do with plants if you feed them enough veggi matter and don't mind some nibbling.

Yes boiled top soil and sand is the best and cheapest way to go. Just never vacuum, only hover over the sand to clean and that's it, or you will mix it all up and have a mess.
You want roughly 1/4-1/2" of dirt then 1-1.5" or so of sand. Avoid cichlids that dig too.

If you need some plants let me know, I have a nice assortment of stem plants.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/15/2010, 11:47 pm

apisto,kribs,discus,angelfish,and rams. will work I've have 2 large angels in a planted tank, and i've also kept discus in planted tanks before.

vals,sags,crypts,swords,ferns,and anbuisies(spelling?) will work...

I've even seen blood parrots with swords in a 125g aquarium with no troubles.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/16/2010, 6:01 am

i just looked at the apistos nice selections how many of these cute guys can i fit in a 55g?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/16/2010, 8:49 am

I would put in 1 male and 2 females to start they breed easily. Be sure to have plenty of caves.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 8:54 am

yep yep like vixen said have plenty of caves/hide places for them they get terrioral
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/17/2010, 11:12 am

this sonds like i good idea im waist deep in fish with no space.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 1:36 pm

you could always get a 29 gallon and have a trio of just apistos in it.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/25/2010, 12:59 pm

Could do German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams. I like the look of apistogrammas but I am a Ram lover.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/25/2010, 1:03 pm

I can't keep rams alive over 3 mo. HHMMMMM.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime11/25/2010, 1:06 pm

I've killed a lot due to the fact that I normally to large water changes (40% or more sometimes) because most tanks that I have contain a ton of fry. I quit with the Rams for a while until I have a house that I can set up more tanks in. Then I plan to get the German Blue Ram tank that I've always wanted. Bolivians are much easier to keep alive btw. They are really hardy compared to their German Blue counterparts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: re doing 55g planted   re doing 55g planted Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

re doing 55g planted
Page 1 of 1