UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Any reef keepers out here?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

Any reef keepers out here? Empty
PostSubject: Any reef keepers out here?   Any reef keepers out here? Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 4:21 pm

I'm undergoing a nice project which involves growing phytoplanktons. I am anticipating having excess as I will need to keep the cultures alive.

I'm curious to know if anyone would be interested in the excess phytos to feed their marine life?

Right now I have the following culturing:

Nannochloropsis culturing in brackish water (1.014/19ppm).
Isocrysis Galbana and Tetraselmis culturing in sea water (1.026/35ppm).
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

PostSubject: Re: Any reef keepers out here?   Any reef keepers out here? Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 4:45 pm

I have no idea what any of what you said above means but i am thinking of doing a small salt water setup for in my dining room. I live in bowling green just west of you. Once i get everything i need would you be willing to offer some advice or lend a hand if need be. I know nothing about salt.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Any reef keepers out here?   Any reef keepers out here? Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 4:51 pm

If you are looking for a self contained salt system several of my friends have had great sucess with the oceanic self contained "reef" tanks the 29oceanic seems to be the best but they have also used the 12 gallon eclipse with sucess
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

PostSubject: Re: Any reef keepers out here?   Any reef keepers out here? Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 7:27 pm

I was actually thinking about getting a 30-40 gallon tank, and after talking to someone today, getting a nice bio wheel hob filter. And trying to do one like that. Probably closer to 30 gallons. With just some live rock and a couple small fish with some corals. Im totally new to this though. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Any reef keepers out here?   Any reef keepers out here? Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 7:10 am

Affraid I can't really help on that. I'm not very versed in the world of salties. The only I got at the moment is just my Phytoplanktons to feed a marine tank.

Sry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any reef keepers out here?   Any reef keepers out here? Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 7:43 am

hope your good at cleaning as the salt gets everywhere as the water evaporates if you have a fussy spouse let them know before you set it up or you will have "discussions" on the looks of dried salt everywhere. lol!
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

PostSubject: Re: Any reef keepers out here?   Any reef keepers out here? Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 6:43 pm

Yea, as long as I keep it clean and it looks pretty she will be ok. If not oh well.
Back to top Go down
Cichlid Lover
USA Fishbox Sponsor
Cichlid Lover

Favorite Fish: : Peacocks

PostSubject: Re: Any reef keepers out here?   Any reef keepers out here? Icon_minitime12/5/2010, 5:28 pm

I have had satwater tanks and cichlids for 20 years. I use to put a 30 gal. tank in my daughters ELE school class room. I used a Bio wheel and a Magnum HOT filter on it and never had any problems. I added about 10-15lbs of live rock and stocked it with reef type fish like clowns, tangs,dwarf angles, shrimp, starfish etc. and 1-1/2" of reef sand. The only difference between a saltwater tank and freshwater is the taste. Keep it simple! Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Any reef keepers out here?   Any reef keepers out here? Icon_minitime12/6/2010, 10:11 am

I haven't had any issues with the salt buildup on my tank. It has been up just over a year now. I get a little concentration on the glass lid and HOB but I clean the tank weekly so I just wipe it off. No big deal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any reef keepers out here?   Any reef keepers out here? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any reef keepers out here?
Page 1 of 1