UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

ok, now Im lost...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

ok, now Im lost... Empty
PostSubject: ok, now Im lost...   ok, now Im lost... Icon_minitime9/4/2010, 12:42 am

I have always thought that if I have some alge growth (not long strands, just small growth) then I have a pretty good eco-system going in my tanks. Because of this, I have what I call my "garden rocks" which are either lava rocks or a lace rock which are great for growing algea (they have a "fuzzy" look because of the algea now); these never get scrubed, if they come out of the tanks (which are rare) they are allowed to air dry, and then put away, then next time they are used, they just go straight into the water. I also like to have live plants in my tanks, and right now I have one plant doing extremely well in one tank.

So, am I wrong in thinking some algea means a good eco-system???
Back to top Go down

ok, now Im lost... Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok, now Im lost...   ok, now Im lost... Icon_minitime9/4/2010, 7:41 am

ok, now Im lost... 858205 Personally I like some algae in all of my tanks, its natural and does the same job as plants. Black beard, green, diatom, hair, none of it bothers me.

For me algae is like the canary in the mine shaft, a sort of early warning system. If the algae is growing and looks healthy all is good, if it starts looking unhealthy its time to drag out the test kit and see what is off.

Some people just cant stand the look of algae so they wage war on it and do all sorts of things to get rid of it.

So all in all algae is a good thing, but it comes down to personal preference in the end.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

ok, now Im lost... Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok, now Im lost...   ok, now Im lost... Icon_minitime9/4/2010, 7:45 am

ok, now Im lost... 858205 Good post..
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

ok, now Im lost... Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok, now Im lost...   ok, now Im lost... Icon_minitime9/4/2010, 7:54 am

very good point, i lik my algea it makes it look real in person, not a man made product but real.
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

ok, now Im lost... Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok, now Im lost...   ok, now Im lost... Icon_minitime9/4/2010, 10:15 am

Thank you all for the repy! I have just been seeing posts lately about getting rid of algea and thats what got me all confused. Once I had an explosion of algea (there was a strand about a foot long in 48 hrs) and I knew something wasnt right, but I was also being shipped off to basic training. I like having algea because it is a good early warning sign as Fern stated, but it also gives my fish something to graze at. The only place I dont like it is on the front of the tank (for obvious reasons) or when it weighs down a fake plant. Again, thank you all for the clarification on this :-)

Last edited by elfwolfe on 9/4/2010, 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

ok, now Im lost... Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok, now Im lost...   ok, now Im lost... Icon_minitime9/4/2010, 1:47 pm

Some people just can't stand it in their tanks, so they try to get rid of it. If you like it leave it cheers
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

ok, now Im lost... Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok, now Im lost...   ok, now Im lost... Icon_minitime9/4/2010, 1:51 pm

Fern wrote:
Some people just can't stand it in their tanks, so they try to get rid of it. If you like it leave it cheers

yes ok, now Im lost... 858205 ok, now Im lost... 858205 ok, now Im lost... 858205
Back to top Go down

ok, now Im lost... Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok, now Im lost...   ok, now Im lost... Icon_minitime9/4/2010, 2:37 pm

And.... It makes a very nice free background lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ok, now Im lost... Empty
PostSubject: Re: ok, now Im lost...   ok, now Im lost... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ok, now Im lost...
Page 1 of 1