UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Neon Tetra's HELP!!!

Go down 
+7
CajunGator
proyect01
khrister
VAMPY
KMX
hydrodmg
BLimon
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

Favorite Fish: : *In my 10g Tank: 3 Lemon Tetras, 2 Zebra Danios, 3 Bleeding Heart Tetras and 1 Pleco.
*In my 55g Tank: 1-1" Gold Angelfish, 1-1" Marbled Angelfish, 2-2" Dwarf Gourami, and a 5" Pleco
*In my 29g Tank: a DIY 3D Background with IMAGINARY water & fish LOL

Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 7:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

I bought 6 neon tetras today and started my freshwater setup. i rinsed all the supplies before setting up and I even left them in the bag to get used to the temp for 20-30 minutes before taking them out the bag. I left to have dinner with my sister and came back to find them all gone. I see one thats dead for sure. Any ideas what i might have done wrong?

P.S. I will definitely put off on a SW tank until I can maintain a freshwater tank for 6 mos.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
istrober

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 6:58 am

I think you should make sure you have good water conditions, how long you have the tank running? im sorry about the lost..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 8:14 am

If you cant afford the API master test kit get the Tetra laborette its almost as good and about $20

To build the bacteria you need to feed the cycle, put a small pinch of cheap fish food in everyday, that way you build the ammonia levels and the bacteria will follow. If you can't get a test kit now you do need to get some really cheap flake food to get your cycle going with. Just feed the tank a small pinch daily and by the time you can get a real test kit your cycle will be well on its way!

NO FISH NOW!
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

Favorite Fish: : *In my 10g Tank: 3 Lemon Tetras, 2 Zebra Danios, 3 Bleeding Heart Tetras and 1 Pleco.
*In my 55g Tank: 1-1" Gold Angelfish, 1-1" Marbled Angelfish, 2-2" Dwarf Gourami, and a 5" Pleco

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 9:38 am

OK will do! got food from when i bought the fish so I can do the food!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 11:47 am

Yup just feed the tank daily and see where your at when you can get a good test kit. No water changes at all during this time, run your filter and anything else you have in on or about the tank, just like you would if you had fish.
Once you can verify that your cycle is complete do a 50% water change with a good vacuuming of the gravel then you add fish very slowly so you don't over whelm the new bacteria, if you add too many fish at once you will get a mini cycle that can harm the fish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 12:02 pm

You will get a brown algae growth in the tank called diatoms. Don't worry this is common. when the tank is cycled scraped the tank before you do the water change. Do not use any medication to get rid of the algae as it is harmful to fish also. It will clear up on it's own in time. Live plants help keep the algae down and you can add them now if you would like.
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 2:17 pm

I got my tank to normal levels and my sister bought me some fish and my hubby got me a freshwater master kit. I now have 3 lemon fish, 2 danios and 3 i dont know what they are but they look like some sort of tetra. They are all doing good and seem to be thriving quite well. I got them yesterday so I guess I did something right if they are still alive plus I did a 50% water change yesterday before I got the fish and added 2 drops of ZIP drops (chlorine and chloramine remover) per gallon and that got the levels under control. Thanks for the advise everyone! I appreciate it and will let you all know how everything goes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 2:50 pm

What do you mean by NORMAL? What is the results of your nitrate, nitrite and ammonia.? If your tank is not cycled thats too many fish. Check ammonia levels at least twice a day for that many fish. If it shows ammonia do a water change. Cycling takes at least 3 weeks up to months.
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 5:08 pm

Ive shown no ammonia and i am checking levels at least 3 times a day cause I dont want them to die again. I love the master kit though. makes me feel like a chemist. lol. but yeah im keeping track of it all. will post levels later today. I'm working on a project for my 29 gallon tank.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 9:46 pm

Don't add any more fish for at least 3 weeks
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 9:48 pm

ok i wont. I have no more money anyways. Im broke until I make more jewelry or find a way to sell something. cursing
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 7:20 am

sell some books at a half price book store or a local used book store lol i do that all the time so i can keep up with my fish.
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 11:12 am

Good Idea! Now to go through the moving boxes and find them! chin
Back to top Go down
Janie
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
Janie

Favorite Fish: : Calvus & all Victorian Cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 1:47 pm

hydrodmg wrote:
heater???
tropical fish need heater

They want ...they dont need.

hydrodmg wrote:
ok well as far as i know neon tetra is a tropical fish and should be kept between 72 and 80

Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 858205

vampyrekrab wrote:
I think the small neon tetras at fintique are .59 or 3/1.50.

Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 858205

BLimon wrote:
LOL they wanted to sell them to me for 9.95 each

Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 196631

BLimon wrote:
Also, why are there a ton of bubbles all around my tank?

Did they go away?

BLimon wrote:
Oh okay thanks! Nice to know. Hubby was asking about that! Next question, My 29 gallon tank came with samples of Aqueon Water Conditioner and Tropical Flakes. Can I use this water conditioner on my tank to get it cycled?!?

Use Prime!

proyect01 wrote:
well I hope these can help you next time

1 please ask a person who knows the hobby
2 new setup needs recycle 24 hrs at least with aquasafe easybalance aquarium salt etc
3 read about the fish you like to buy if need special conditions ph temp ligth etc
4 in the LFS observe if any fish looks sick or death
5 when you buy fish or else never put the water in the bag in you aquarium
6 if possible quarentine when you add more fish

maybe I miss some but if you have more questions just ask here Im sure any member can help you Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 393849
Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 858205 Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 858205

CajunGator wrote:
evidently you did not have enough bacteria to maintain your cycle. Get an old filter from someone and put in tank until your cycle is complete...

FishVixen wrote:
Hate to tell you BLimon but test strips are very unreliable. Get yourself an API master test kit, Believe me it will be the best investment in this hobby. You need to check for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Cycling your tank will take anywhere between 3 weeks and I've seen some go as long as 12 weeks. Patience is very important at this stage of the game. Read about the cycling process and ask questions like your doing. Saltwater tanks need a lot of time and money. Totally different process of lighting and water testing for saltwater. I suggest stay with freshwater in the beginning.
Back to top Go down
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

Favorite Fish: : Bettas, Gouramis, Corys

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 1:48 pm

good to hear you got it goin Bernie. Now patience is a virtue! Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 393849

Last edited by vampyrekrab on 7/29/2010, 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime7/29/2010, 2:21 pm

thanks Vampy! and yes the bubbles went away Janie!
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2010, 4:06 pm

OKay, Ive been doing weekly testing on my tanks. Here's reading from July 31 and heres todays readings... let me know if they are good.

July 31, 2010
pH: 7.4 (10g) / 7.4 (55g)
Nitrate: 0ppm(10g) / 0.25ppm (55g)
Nitrite: 0.5ppm (10g) / 5.0 ppm (55g)
Ammonia: 0.5ppm (10g) / 0ppm (55g)

August 4, 2010
pH: 7.4 (10g) / Test Later (55g)
Nitrate: 5.0ppm (10g) / Test Later (55g)
Nitrite: 2.0ppm (10g) / Test Later (55g)
Ammonia: 4.0ppm (10g) / Test Later (55g)

Now I know the ammonia levels were running high probably due to my husband over feeding, so I did a 25% water change and will be testing again a little later. I want to let the tank run for a bit before I check again to ensure a proper reading.

Last edited by BLimon on 8/4/2010, 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info put in)
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2010, 5:06 pm

sounds good !!! rock on

thanks Janie Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 393849
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2010, 5:22 pm

yes it sounds good and ur tests will run high for a bit and it will go to zero which is the best thing then u can add some fish in it but slowly and not a whole lot
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2010, 6:40 pm

Thanks everyone! I think I'm getting the hang of this!
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, African Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2010, 8:11 pm

I personally use Primer to take care of Chlorine and Cloramine. I have used this stuff for over two years, can't say I have ever lost a fish due to chlorine. Way back back when I set up my African Community tank I bought 4 bumble bee cichlids as 'sacrificial" fish, (as awful as that sounds) for the cycling of the tank. There is no way to build up beneficial bacteria without having any fish to produce fish waste.
Anyways, those four bumblebee cichlids I still have (was two years ago when I set it up), all four are over 6 in. and they breed like crazy, I can't even say how many fry I have had with them. : )

Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2010, 11:10 pm

hey mlegion i'd like to see the pic of your fancy goldfish with a face that looks like a dog! That sounds interesting. dance
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/4/2010, 11:22 pm

Okay, here's another question. Not sure if its a stupid question but here goes ... when i buy fish, how do i quarantine them? Do i need to have an empty tank cycling all the time or how does that go?

I know I must sound like a moron right now
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 8:00 am

u hav a empty cycled tank for them for qt and sickly fish normally its a small tank. i hav a 20 long for that stuff since all my bettas like 10 gallon or less with their heavy fins and all
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime8/5/2010, 8:37 am

You get a spare 10g and leave it empty and dry, run the filter for it on one of your main tanks and keep some random decor for it in one of your main tanks. When it comes time to use it fill it with 1/2 new water and 1/2 water from an established tank, move over the decor and filter and add the fish.
When done with the tank and the fish were all healthy and had no issues you can just move the filter and decor back to the main tank.
If the fish were sick and had an issue, wash everything thoroughly with tap water and set in the sun for a few hours, toss the media from the filter and put in new.
The filter will take 2-3 weeks to get enough bacteria growing in it to support 4-5 small fish. The decor will also have a small bit of bacteria on it and that will help kick start the QT tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Neon Tetra's HELP!!!
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3