UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Neon Tetra's HELP!!!

Go down 
+7
CajunGator
proyect01
khrister
VAMPY
KMX
hydrodmg
BLimon
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

Favorite Fish: : *In my 10g Tank: 3 Lemon Tetras, 2 Zebra Danios, 3 Bleeding Heart Tetras and 1 Pleco.
*In my 55g Tank: 1-1" Gold Angelfish, 1-1" Marbled Angelfish, 2-2" Dwarf Gourami, and a 5" Pleco
*In my 29g Tank: a DIY 3D Background with IMAGINARY water & fish LOL

Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 7:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

I bought 6 neon tetras today and started my freshwater setup. i rinsed all the supplies before setting up and I even left them in the bag to get used to the temp for 20-30 minutes before taking them out the bag. I left to have dinner with my sister and came back to find them all gone. I see one thats dead for sure. Any ideas what i might have done wrong?

P.S. I will definitely put off on a SW tank until I can maintain a freshwater tank for 6 mos.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
hydrodmg
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 8:26 pm

cardinals lol
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

Favorite Fish: : *In my 10g Tank: 3 Lemon Tetras, 2 Zebra Danios, 3 Bleeding Heart Tetras and 1 Pleco.
*In my 55g Tank: 1-1" Gold Angelfish, 1-1" Marbled Angelfish, 2-2" Dwarf Gourami, and a 5" Pleco

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 8:26 pm

You dont have to replace them for me its fine. This is just a learning experience and something I needed to go through to know better for next time
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 8:27 pm

I didnt buy those lol ... i bought 6 neon tetras for .89 cents. Im crazy but not crazy enough to spend almost 10 on 1 fish on my 1st setup lol
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 8:28 pm

Looking back I dont know how i kept our fish alive when we were kids chin
Back to top Go down
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

Favorite Fish: : Bettas, Gouramis, Corys

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 8:28 pm

Sorry for your bad experience, but please don't get discouraged. Get your tank cycled and ready and i will replace the fish for you. I believe most places will test your water for you if you take them a sample.
Back to top Go down
hydrodmg
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : broiled or grilled just not fried

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 8:33 pm

BLimon wrote:
I didnt buy those lol ... i bought 6 neon tetras for .89 cents. Im crazy but not crazy enough to spend almost 10 on 1 fish on my 1st setup lol
Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjxlVipZqo4uV6vMmew-3VExQjBtmutWmSu4jGb0fU1IwLhmw&t=1&usg=__hdGs8SIakpWx5c5rwhI4aBxBD-A=neon cheap
Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4kcvhvlHSHJI19-0UYticSoSt0KgNLHusrAzUFdWtpx6sm3c&t=1&usg=__yLD2ZPb3HW32jl0WEZutVTeZWrI=cardinal expensive
neons are cheap and easier to keep then cardinals cardinals are harder to keep and real real real real real real hard to breed in a tank

Last edited by hydrodmg on 7/26/2010, 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 8:36 pm

TOP ONE FOR SURE!
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 8:37 pm

Also, why are there a ton of bubbles all around my tank?
Back to top Go down
hydrodmg
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 8:40 pm

they almost look the same and be sure of what fish you are looking at a lot of lfs tag their fish with the wrong name the bubbles are from filling the tank with water air bubbles get stuck in the tank when you add water every time stir the tank up and they will go away
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 8:43 pm

Oh okay thanks! Nice to know. Hubby was asking about that! Next question, My 29 gallon tank came with samples of Aqueon Water Conditioner and Tropical Flakes. Can I use this water conditioner on my tank to get it cycled?!?
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 8:43 pm

well I hope these can help you next time

1 please ask a person who knows the hobby
2 new setup needs recycle 24 hrs at least with aquasafe easybalance aquarium salt etc
3 read about the fish you like to buy if need special conditions ph temp ligth etc
4 in the LFS observe if any fish looks sick or death
5 when you buy fish or else never put the water in the bag in you aquarium
6 if possible quarentine when you add more fish

maybe I miss some but if you have more questions just ask here Im sure any member can help you Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 393849
Back to top Go down
hydrodmg
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 8:48 pm

no additives can not cycle your tank read the link that i put in earlier on cycling your tank additives are added to remove heavy metals and chlorine for the most part
your tank needs bacteria to make the eco system work from the tap you have no good bacteria just read the link or look in the library real good information in that article
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 8:52 pm

OK reading that article in the library now. Thanks everyone for all the advice.
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 10:57 pm

Okay so I went out to Walmart to buy the test strips to test the water and here are the levels I got. Can someone show me how to correct them as needed?
NOTE: THESE ARE ALL FOR FRESHWATER READINGS

Nitrate: 20 (AVG BELOW 40ppm)
Nitrite: 0 (BELOW .5ppm)
Hardness: 300 (FW COMMUNITY 50-150ppm)
Alkalinity: 300 (FW COMMUNITY 120-300 ppm)
pH: 8.4 (6.8-7.2 IDEAL)

Last edited by BLimon on 7/26/2010, 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ADDED RANGES FOR READINGS)
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 11:22 pm

oH YEAH AND THE TEMP IS AT 79 DEGREES
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 11:36 pm

evidently you did not have enough bacteria to maintain your cycle. Get an old filter from someone and put in tank until your cycle is complete...
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 11:37 pm

and then i can go back to mines that i just bought or can i leave this one cycling for a couple weeks until i get paid again? which I prefer!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 11:38 pm

yes leave the old one in. that would be fine... it will help the cycle
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 11:39 pm

I dont have an old one ... i only have the new one i just bought today.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 11:43 pm

find someone by you that u can borrow an old filter.
that is still in their tank...
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 11:46 pm

Okay ill see what I can do or who I can mooch bacteria filled filter from. And once I've done that, how long do I borrow it for and then once I'm done do I just use my new one or should I have them running together so mines can build some bacteria?
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 12:11 am

I was just reading the SW reading levels and my tank is at the normal reading levels for a SW Setup! How cool is that? Maybe I won't be so bad with a Saltwater setup after all. Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 265353
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 2:10 am

Hate to tell you BLimon but test strips are very unreliable. Get yourself an API master test kit, Believe me it will be the best investment in this hobby. You need to check for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Cycling your tank will take anywhere between 3 weeks and I've seen some go as long as 12 weeks. Patience is very important at this stage of the game. Read about the cycling process and ask questions like your doing. Saltwater tanks need a lot of time and money. Totally different process of lighting and water testing for saltwater. I suggest stay with freshwater in the beginning.
Back to top Go down
BLimon
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
BLimon

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 5:59 am

Oh I wasnt doing sw setup yet lol. Not even going to attempt it yet. but i'll definately look into getting that kit but cant afford it right now. maybe next month
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 6:50 am

i would let u hav one of my old filter but im to far away and wait at least a week before u put fish in ur tank. with my 55 it took bout a month to see a huge change in my readings. prices of fish doesnt matter in the fish world like someone said i cant remember who but ya i hav a fw tank and ive spent maybe over 500 for everythin. my paycheck r bout 230 every 2 weeks so i spend more on my fish than myself lol. u just learn to budget urself and buy the neat fish.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 6:58 am

I think you should make sure you have good water conditions, how long you have the tank running? im sorry about the lost..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neon Tetra's HELP!!!   Neon Tetra's HELP!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Neon Tetra's HELP!!!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next