UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

fish for a 10 gallon

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

Favorite Fish: : Bettas, Gouramis, Corys

fish for a 10 gallon Empty
PostSubject: fish for a 10 gallon   fish for a 10 gallon Icon_minitime7/23/2010, 11:40 am

Hey all, I have a question. What are some different kinds of fish that will do well in a 10 gallon, and how many? I am kind of weary of the information given at pet stores due to the fact that i have heard them misinform others on reptiles. I'd rather hear from experienced keepers so i decided to ask yall. Thanks in advance.

Jaime
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fish for a 10 gallon   fish for a 10 gallon Icon_minitime7/23/2010, 7:59 pm

are their fish in the tank now?
Is it planted?
What is your substrate?

If you are starting a new tank.... I would go with soft sand and a few small plants and some dwarf corys and galaxy rasboas. They stay quite small so you can have 6-8 of each in the tank and not end up overstocking. You could probably do a few small shrimp in there as well....
Back to top Go down
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

PostSubject: Re: fish for a 10 gallon   fish for a 10 gallon Icon_minitime7/23/2010, 8:28 pm

Fern, I'm actually going crazy with ideas right now,lol. I was thinking of doing another ten, but now i'm thinking maybe a 29 instead. I want to build a rack and after taking some measurements I can get a 29 to fit in the space i have. My existing 10 is gonna stay how it is, and i think i will do the 29 different. I will go with sand instead of colored gravel and i wanna try live plants instead of plastic. I still have to build the rack and I will buy the 29 and accessories little by little. School clothes and supplies for three kids has to be first.....i guess, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fish for a 10 gallon   fish for a 10 gallon Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 12:28 pm

You can get play sand from lowes, home deopt, etc.... Much cheaper. If you go with sand and live plants be sure to get fert tabs to put in the sand for the plants. For plants go to different forums buy and sell areas. Many hobbiest sell unwanted plants very cheaply. I bought a mixed bag of plants from someone who was thinning out their plants and got 3 bread bags full of plants for $15 including shipping. Filled a 55 gal and a 29 gal. Amazingly you can find some great deals from others in the hobby.
Back to top Go down
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

PostSubject: Re: fish for a 10 gallon   fish for a 10 gallon Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 3:02 pm

Sweet, thanks for the info FV!
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: fish for a 10 gallon   fish for a 10 gallon Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 3:18 pm

You can also use pool filter sand from home depot.50lb bag for $6.Thats what I use in most of my tanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: fish for a 10 gallon   fish for a 10 gallon Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 5:02 pm

crystal sands silica pool filter sand is what I use, I also put boiled top soil under the sand for the plants.
If you are building a stand for a 29g make it a 2 tank stand and build it so you can put a 20g long underneath, they have the same foot print.

p.s. I sell plant variety packs.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: fish for a 10 gallon   fish for a 10 gallon Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 5:12 pm

get fern variety pnat package man i got so many plants i dont know wat to do wit lol i hav to put some in my 10 gallon
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: fish for a 10 gallon   fish for a 10 gallon Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 6:26 pm

For fish you could try some easy livebearers like Mollies, Swords, Platies, or (my favorite) Guppies. With a well planted tank there should be plenty of places for fry to hide - and trust me, Your kids will go crazy with interest when those fry appear! My two younger kids now each own a pair of mollies because of their experience with the guppy tank in the living room. You could easily do five of the larger livebearers or a few more of the smaller species. Try to have more females than males with any of them in bigger groups, they're polygamous.

For bottom feeders I prefer snails in a smaller tank. They're easy to take care of, and you can have quite a few if you want. Though cories are very active and fun to watch as well. But mine are definitely going to be happier in the 29T over the 10. Both bottom dwellers get along well with live bearers. Neither one should go after live born fry too often.
Back to top Go down
VAMPY
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
VAMPY

PostSubject: Re: fish for a 10 gallon   fish for a 10 gallon Icon_minitime7/24/2010, 8:30 pm

Fern, i will definitely get with you for some plants when i'm ready. Thanks for all the info, i will take it all into consideration fish for a 10 gallon 690297
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fish for a 10 gallon   fish for a 10 gallon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fish for a 10 gallon
Page 1 of 1