UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

45 gallon fish fighting

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

45 gallon fish fighting Empty
PostSubject: 45 gallon fish fighting   45 gallon fish fighting Icon_minitime12/2/2012, 9:06 pm

I knew I would have a problem eventually and tonight it happened... I have a 45 gallon aquarium with a Jack Dempsey about 6 inches, a black convict around 5 inches long a calico 4.5 inches long and a feather fin catfish about 6 - 6.5 inches long. The tank is a lil small for them obviously. Well the black convict and Jack have squared off a lot, and usually the convict is the more aggressive and bossy but apparently a switch was flipped and the Jack has beaten and chased the convict relentlessly. For the moment I have moved the convict to a 40 gallon breeder with 2 pictus cats a juvenile jack and a juvenile firemouth. This is obviously temporary, any ideas? Or is it time to split them all up and find new homes for them. I have had these fish and setup since early October. Got them off Craigslist and they were all together then in same tank.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: 45 gallon fish fighting   45 gallon fish fighting Icon_minitime12/2/2012, 10:51 pm

That tank is just to small for them and the jack finally snapped! I would not put them back together unless you get a bigger tank and if your out of room for more tanks then I would say that jack has his own tank or you get rid of one or the other which is your call on that! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

Favorite Fish: : Jack Dempsey...Red Tail Shark... Severum... Raphael Cat...Cardinals...Cory's... Hy511's There are many more as well

PostSubject: Re: 45 gallon fish fighting   45 gallon fish fighting Icon_minitime12/2/2012, 10:53 pm

I have one other tank option but it's only a 55. That would not be much better obviously. What surprised me though is that the Jack so far has left the calico convict alone which was bullied by the black convict alot.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: 45 gallon fish fighting   45 gallon fish fighting Icon_minitime12/3/2012, 10:13 am

even a 75 is on the small size.
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: 45 gallon fish fighting   45 gallon fish fighting Icon_minitime12/3/2012, 10:16 am

Well for the moment the separation is working well.. It is temporary so I ultimately have to decide what I'm gonna do. Another tank is not a possibility and I do have one 29 gallon available but I don't think that is a solution either for one fish. I guess the ultimate decision will be who goes and who stays... I loathe decisions.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 45 gallon fish fighting   45 gallon fish fighting Icon_minitime12/3/2012, 10:31 am

The best thing to do is get rid of the jack wich I know you really don't want to,but he really needs at least a 100g or bigger,but I've seen them in 75g's,but like HRT said its alittle on the small size inless hes the only fish in there! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
strawman1985
strawman1985

PostSubject: Re: 45 gallon fish fighting   45 gallon fish fighting Icon_minitime12/3/2012, 12:04 pm

Yep, I know thats the best move. I may even try to part with my little Jack while I am at it. He is plenty small now but that will not be the case for long.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

PostSubject: Re: 45 gallon fish fighting   45 gallon fish fighting Icon_minitime12/4/2012, 10:04 am

strawman1985 wrote:
Yep, I know thats the best move. I may even try to part with my little Jack while I am at it. He is plenty small now but that will not be the case for long.

Thats what I would! usafishbox
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 45 gallon fish fighting   45 gallon fish fighting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

45 gallon fish fighting
Page 1 of 1