UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Type of plant???

Go down 
+3
thebanker
typicaltony
istrober
7 posters
AuthorMessage
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 9:02 pm

im planning on adding some live plants to my 75gl, which type should i buy?? any suggestions..., oh and also when i bought my tank on cl, the guy that had it washed the glass with a hard sponge and scrached all the glass on the inside ( what a animal lol), is there anything tha i can do to remove those marks???
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 9:34 pm

what kind of substrate are you using? what kind of lighting is going over the tank? are you planning on dosing any ferts?
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 9:36 pm

none lol, your xl pacu will be eating salad for dinner when you put them in there. Your pretty much stuck with the scratches unless there really really fine, and if they are that fine they wouldn't be visible with water in it.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 6:00 am

Well lighting im just using Aqua-Glo fluorescent, but i have another aqua-glo in blue color, and yes you are right when water is on it you dont see the scratch until you get very close to the glass..
Back to top Go down

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 6:23 am

You could try water sprite, it grows floating or planted and every bit that he rips off will grow a new plant. It grows fast so I think it may keep up with his snacking on it....Yes I have some
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 6:42 am

Yeah that one looks nice, its ok to used it with the lighting i have? or do i have to replace them with any other?
Back to top Go down

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 6:45 am

Is the light rated for plants?
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 6:47 am

mmm im not sure, those lights came with the tank when i bought it, the guy was using saltwater so i can imagine that yes..
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 7:29 am

you can grow using antinic bulbs but looks like the only type you can actually grow are low light stuff... anubias, java fern, moss...
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 9:13 am

You will definately want something that grows quickly and will live well without being planted. thebanker is correct that the Pacu will be eating and disrupting whatever you put in there. I've even tried plants that most fish won't eat, and they had that devoured within a week. Not trying to discourage you, just letting you know the reality of Pacu. You never know, you may have better luck. I would certainly give it a try at least once to see how it works out. Be prepared to re-plant anything you put in the substrate on a regular basis. Even if he doesn't devour it, his wake from moving around will dislodge it.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 10:53 am

Yeah you are right, but ill give it a try, ill put them all the way to the back of the tank, he usually doenst swim that way lol, and if he eats it ill be kind of happy because im trying to make him eat anything else than meat, when i buy the plant, should i just planted on the gravel or leave it on the bucket?? im new at using live plants....
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 1:37 pm

plant them in the gravel, remove the pot.
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 2:25 pm

Absolutely remove from pot. If you aren't sure about it remaining buried in the gravel, place a small stone on the roots to help anchor it. Make sure the stone is not large enough to crush the roots, however, or the plant will slowly starve as it will be unable to absorb nutrients.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 2:29 pm

Yeah ill make sure to put them right way then.. Type of plant??? 393849
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/23/2010, 5:47 pm

good luck with your new plants....
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 6:21 am

Yeap, last night i bought some swords, and so far the fish is getting along with it...
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/25/2010, 4:56 am

Moved to the correct place in the forum! Good luck! Hope that you can get him to eat it. I would suggest a large, fast growing plant like an Amazon Sword. That way if he does munch, It'll be big enough to grow new leaves.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/25/2010, 6:57 am

I always fed my big vegetarians whole leaves of Romain lettuce,
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime6/25/2010, 7:24 am

Yeah my pacu dont actually eats veggies, just carrots, and he started picking on my live plant but he stopped, i wish he can eat lettuce...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Type of plant??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type of plant???   Type of plant??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Type of plant???
Page 1 of 1