UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

White fuzz

Go down 
AuthorMessage

White fuzz Empty
PostSubject: White fuzz   White fuzz Icon_minitime8/12/2009, 2:54 pm

Ok I've got white fuzz in the gravel of my 20gal. Its been there for a few days and has been growing in amount. I had a platty die in there today. Any clue on what it could be?

Tank stats;
20gal
gravel
lightly planted
under gravel filter
whisper 30-60

Fish;
2 albino long skirted tetras
3 black long skirted tetras
3 kuhlil loaches
6 albino corys
3 dalmatian mollys
3 adult sunset plattys
4 juvy/fry sunset plattys
shrimp & snails

Ok I see part of the problem now...Idea .... I'm over stocked in there. I will have to move some fish over to the 75g
I've been toying with the idea of converting it to sand at some point so if I need to do that its not an issue. I've got 150lbs of silica pool filter sand in the garage. But I'm finally starting to get a java moss carpet started so I'm back and forth on to change or not to change.
Back to top Go down

White fuzz Empty
PostSubject: Re: White fuzz   White fuzz Icon_minitime8/12/2009, 3:41 pm

Ok its kind of sticky like cobwebs.

Any guesses? Harmful or harmless?
Back to top Go down
R2 Ranch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
R2 Ranch

Favorite Fish: : Any that belong to me.

White fuzz Empty
PostSubject: Re: White fuzz   White fuzz Icon_minitime8/13/2009, 5:43 am

Sorry to hear about your Platty. Maybe a light cleaning of the substrate? It might help out with the white fuzz issue. Good luck to you.
Back to top Go down

White fuzz Empty
PostSubject: Re: White fuzz   White fuzz Icon_minitime8/13/2009, 9:03 am

Well I got irritated with it so I just pulled off most of the top layer of gravel. It was all sticking to itself like I had some crazed aquatic spider spinning webs in it. I'm still clueless as what it could be though. I did find a very odd bug looking thing that came out with the gravel. It was gone when I finally found the camera though so no pics.
I think I'm just going to swap to sand. Should I move the fish while I do it or will they be ok?
Back to top Go down
R2 Ranch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
R2 Ranch

White fuzz Empty
PostSubject: Re: White fuzz   White fuzz Icon_minitime8/13/2009, 12:20 pm

Personally I would move the fish, while your cleaning and redecorating their home.
Back to top Go down

White fuzz Empty
PostSubject: Re: White fuzz   White fuzz Icon_minitime8/13/2009, 12:24 pm

ok. I'm just not sure wheather they will all fit in my 10g or if I need to get my 30g running. I may just swap them all to the 30g if it will fit where I have my 20g
Back to top Go down
R2 Ranch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
R2 Ranch

White fuzz Empty
PostSubject: Re: White fuzz   White fuzz Icon_minitime8/13/2009, 12:29 pm

I would place some water from the current tank into a rubbermaid tote or so and add some air. They should be fine while you are changing out the substrate. It take me a few hours to do a complete change and my fish do fine. Good luck to you my friend. I am sure you'll do fine. Oh.... don't forget to post some pic's!
Back to top Go down

White fuzz Empty
PostSubject: Re: White fuzz   White fuzz Icon_minitime8/13/2009, 12:41 pm

Ok. Yes I will post some pis of the process, Why not White fuzz 455499
It will probably take me a few days to clean the sand (bad back). I guess I can do the same with my rocks. They are getting a nice covering of java moss that's looking fantastic and I don't want to mess it up.

I guess I'll put it in show and tell or something. I've got some before pic's that are a month or 2 old.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

White fuzz Empty
PostSubject: Re: White fuzz   White fuzz Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

White fuzz
Page 1 of 1