UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs? Empty
PostSubject: How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs?   How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs? Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 10:10 am

I have a single peacock in a tank with a 10 red zebras and 6 msobo. I didn't know whether it was a male or female (thought it was a male because it has a lot of the spots on the bottom fin) When I look at the peacock it mouth seems to be a lot wider then normal and glimpses within the mouth appears to be yellow round eggs. She is also not eating anything. A couple of questions: 1) Will a peacock hold eggs that are not fertilized? 2) Can a peacock have its eggs fertilized from a zebra or msobo?
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs?   How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs? Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 10:18 am

They can and will hybridize with zebras. So she probably spawned with one of them.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs?   How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs? Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 10:20 am

kill em!!!! lol
take her out of the tank bro!!! not good HYBRIDZ!!!!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs?   How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs? Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 10:20 am

they can hybridize so you so you have a hybrid. do not worry about the babies.

how to tell male from female is by color or by venting. how big is it?
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs?   How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs? Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 10:30 am

Try feeding, If it eats, it's not holding. I think most fertilized eggs are a bone(off white color). I never kept peacocks with mbuna species so I not sure but there's hybrids all over the place.
Back to top Go down
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs?   How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs? Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 10:30 am

I wasn't really trying to breed these cichlids. I had them all in my community 55 Gal. The peacock was the last remaining peacock that I had so I just threw her in the community tank.

David Holey Rock, I am going to be around the Richardson area on Thursday this week. Are you available on Thursday for at around 2 PM for me to come by and take a look at some of your cichlids as well as your rocks? I want a couple more of different species just to throw into my community tank.
Back to top Go down
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs?   How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs? Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 10:32 am

Nitty, I've tried feeding it several times yesterday and today and the peacock will not eat. Also, her mouth seems to be really big as compared to before.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs?   How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs? Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 10:37 am

It's holding. Peacocks want eat for 3 weeks when holding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs?   How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you know if a peacock is holding eggs?
Page 1 of 1