UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/14/2010, 1:05 am

Taking into account how many post that I have seen recently on Lake Victorians, I decided to start a thread on breeding for this lake.

Anyone with experience,knowledge, or even curiosity are welcome to post their questions and observations within this thread.

What breeds are you currently breeding?
What difficulties have you came across throughout the breeding process with these fish?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/14/2010, 9:00 am

Seeing how others have had Vic for years, I'd say I'm pretty new to the Victorian scene. Currently I have had pretty good luck attaining some Nice Victorians from Ross. My current stock includes:

1) Astatotilapia latifasciata “Kyoga 'Zebra”
2) Haplochromis sp. "Red Fire Emmiside"
3) Haplochromis "Red Tails sp.44"
4) Haplochromis sp. "Ruby Green"
5) Neochromis Rufocaudalis
6) Pundamilia sp. "Blue Bar Hippo Point"
7) Pundamilia Nyererei Igombe Island
8) Xystichromis phytophagus "Christmas Fulu"

Most are breeding but I currently only have fry from #'s: 3, 4, 5 & 7.

I actually lost my #8 Male so I only have a lone female. Anyone having one they could offer me would be great.

The only problems I've run into are aggression. My #3 & 6 males are very aggressive when it's breeding time. I actually had a ratio of 1M/3F of the Blue bars at one time but lost all but one due to aggression. Now I have my 1M/1F mixed with dithers in hopes that they'll spawn so I can restart a colony of Blue Bars.

Most of these vics do better in trios or even 2M/3F... the main problem in breeding them is finding a place that sells them.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/14/2010, 9:07 am

I thought curtis had some fulu? Also I thought a MOD on DFW has LOTS of fulu...but I dont recomend them they sad to much over there lol!

What size tanks do you have #3 and #6 in ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/14/2010, 9:38 am

You also need to be very careful who you get vics from, there are many many hybrids out there.....
I only have xmas fulus and ruby greens now.
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/14/2010, 10:33 am

KMX wrote:
I thought curtis had some fulu? Also I thought a MOD on DFW has LOTS of fulu...but I dont recomend them they sad to much over there lol!

What size tanks do you have #3 and #6 in ?

Curtis has 1M/2F. I think he sold all his juvies to someone here. sp.44's are in a 60 Gallon with my Red Shoulder Peacock pair and my Afra "Mara Rock" trio

Blue Bars are in my 125 Gallon with a mixture of peacocks, Kyoga zebras and Demasoni.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/14/2010, 1:50 pm

I bought the Fulu, but don't worry... First time they breed I will send some your way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/14/2010, 4:14 pm

I bought some of Curtis's fulus as well.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/14/2010, 5:21 pm

http://www.ig-victoriasee-cichliden.de/artenliste

http://www.haplochromis.org/forum/forum_topics.asp?fid=14

Here are a few links that I have been looking at recently.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 12:50 am

Did anyone check out those links? What did you think about those pictures of the different species?
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 1:01 am

Neochromis rufocaudalis -Saa Nane Island ( I am patiently waiting 4 of these.)

Mbipia mbipi -Makobe Island- ( I currently have five of these around 1.5 - 2 inch.)

Paralabidochromis chromogynos ( I have 3 of these around 2 inch, Looks like one male two female.)

Haplochromis sp. "thick skin" ( I have 2 3inch males and one 2.5 inch female, also 14 2inch with 4 males/10 females.)

Pundamilia nyererei -Kissenda Bay ( I still trying to identify these, but i believe this is them. I have a trio of these.)

Lithochromis rubripinnis ( I have 1 male/3 female, so hopefully they will start doing something soon. I would like a few more, but they are hard to find.)

Lithochromis xanthopteryx ( I only have one male, but I am looking for some females.)

Astatotilapia latifasciata “Kyoga 'Zebra” ( I had a pair of these, but sold them after they breed. They had 39 fry and all of them lived.)

I also have some Xystichromis phytophagus "Christmas Fulu" on the way...

I am constantly trying to find some more Vics so I can get a colony of each going, but it is really hard since most people do not carry these.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 7:12 am

Put me on your fry list! I will add you to my ruby green list if you like?
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 12:52 pm

Ghoulish_chaos wrote:

Pundamilia nyererei -Kissenda Bay ( I still trying to identify these, but i believe this is them. I have a trio of these.)

Post a pic of yours. I wanna see.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 1:18 pm

how do I post a picture from an Iphone? I can't get a picture with the camera but some how I got one with my iphone.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 1:19 pm

Or I can send it to your email.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 5:59 pm

If you love Vics, check out Dave's new stock list.

http://www.safhl.net/davesfish/images/Pundamilia%20nyererei%20Ruti%20Island.jpg
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 5:59 pm

He is selling breeding groups of these 1m/4f
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 7:16 pm

Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? IMG_0405

My Nyererei from Igombe Island... those are Jack's Moorii...they are all in a 60 Gallon Quarantine Tank until I add them to my Frontosa Tank.
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 7:19 pm

Here is Nyererei from Kissenda Bay. Does this look like yours Ghoulish?

Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Pundamilia%20Nyererei%20Kissenda%20Bay
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 9:56 pm

It took awhile, but I think I finally figured out how to post pictures from my iphone.

Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Photo
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 9:57 pm

Any ideas Hong?
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 10:05 pm

Maybe Deadman/Ross can take a crack at it... he knows a ton about Victorians. I have no idea what it is...but it's a good lookin' fish.
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 10:06 pm

Do you think it is possibly a cross between something?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 10:15 pm

Possibly a young Pundamilia nyererei "Senga Point"
Could be a mix.... its hard to find pure vics....
Back to top Go down
Ghoulish_chaos
Major
Major
Ghoulish_chaos

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 10:17 pm

He is about 2.5 inches.
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime3/16/2010, 10:30 pm

Looks close to this guy:

Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? 4374014278_2252116d26_b

"It's either an Anchor Point or Mwanza Gulf"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?   Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for breeding Lake Victorians?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next