UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Jack Dempsey questions

Go down 
+4
Rachael0805
Holey Rock of Texas
ricardorocks
mshill90
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa

Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Jack Dempsey questions   Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 11:18 am

First topic message reminder :

I just got 3 Jack Dempseys from the lfs.

They are small. About 2 inches in size.

I paid $3 a piece.

I bought 3 because I am hoping they will pair up at some point in time, and then I can just take the oddball out and get it a partner or return it to the store.

How long until they pair up?
And can I keep 2 pairs of Jack Demseys in the same tank?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Jack Dempsey questions   Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/13/2010, 10:11 pm

Any pics of your Jacks? I am trying to get some of mine to breed. I've found that if I try to do anything in the tank that they eat the eggs and then the pair splits up somehow. It's really weird. I'm going to try again here soon with all juvies.
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

PostSubject: Re: Jack Dempsey questions   Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/13/2010, 10:39 pm

Here are my Jacks... The Male is missing some finnage, as he was rescued from a LFS. NEVER put a jack in with a 12+ inch pacu!

As far as my Juveniles... 2 stay dark, and one is always light.. The light one which I am suspecting is a female has been parting ways with the other 2 lately, so who knows what that means. I def know they are too small to spawn yet.

Here is the Female at about 6 inches...
Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 100_4018

Here is the male at a little over 10 inches... This is when I first put him in the tank, so he's a little colorless...
Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 100_4019

Then now...
Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 100_4020
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Jack Dempsey questions   Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/14/2010, 12:28 pm

I have some more parents coming to my tanks soon and I'm excited! Once the male grows his fins back you will have a great looking pair! Nice!
Back to top Go down
ricardorocks
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
ricardorocks

Favorite Fish: : halfmoon bettas and any nice looking cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Jack Dempsey questions   Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/14/2010, 3:31 pm

nice
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

PostSubject: Re: Jack Dempsey questions   Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/14/2010, 9:38 pm

CSnyder00 wrote:
I have some more parents coming to my tanks soon and I'm excited! Once the male grows his fins back you will have a great looking pair! Nice!

I don't think his fins will grow back. Was told it's been like that for years...
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Jack Dempsey questions   Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/14/2010, 9:40 pm

Huh. I've always had good luck growing fins, but maybe they won't. I hope they do for you.
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

PostSubject: Re: Jack Dempsey questions   Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/14/2010, 9:41 pm

Do you have any suggestions on how to get them to grow back?

The person I got him from saved him, and the guy has had him for a few years, and they never grew back. His pec (side?) fins did grow back together since I've had him.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Jack Dempsey questions   Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/15/2010, 8:30 am

wow guy looks pretty thrashed!
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

PostSubject: Re: Jack Dempsey questions   Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/15/2010, 10:37 am

I call him Hagrid. :)
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Jack Dempsey questions   Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/15/2010, 11:43 am

hahahah nice name:)
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Jack Dempsey questions   Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/15/2010, 8:55 pm

You can try treating with Melafix. I doubt you even need too though. Most of mine grew back with weekly water changes and good nutrition. A lot of the times they are torn because of the decor in the tank or they were scrapping, but my bet is that he was rubbing on something. Keep feeding him well and do weekly water changes and keep any decor out of the tank he can get his fins caught up in and they should grow back.
Back to top Go down
mshill90
USA Fishbox Sponsor
mshill90

PostSubject: Re: Jack Dempsey questions   Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Icon_minitime3/15/2010, 8:58 pm

CSnyder00 wrote:
You can try treating with Melafix. I doubt you even need too though. Most of mine grew back with weekly water changes and good nutrition. A lot of the times they are torn because of the decor in the tank or they were scrapping, but my bet is that he was rubbing on something. Keep feeding him well and do weekly water changes and keep any decor out of the tank he can get his fins caught up in and they should grow back.

The person that had him before me had him in a tank with just a terra cotta pot. Had him in there for a while and it didn't grow back.

I am not really concerned if it doesn't grow back. I like this the way he is. Just thought if I could do something to make it grow back I would. We'll just wait and see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jack Dempsey questions   Jack Dempsey questions - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jack Dempsey questions
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3