UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Black Ruby barb

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
chicknefoot87
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
chicknefoot87

Favorite Fish: : Goldfish and Koi! I have to represent for the serious goldfish hobbyist.

Black Ruby barb Empty
PostSubject: Black Ruby barb   Black Ruby barb Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 2:30 pm

Black Ruby barb Barbus_nigrofasciatus4

Common name:
Black Ruby barb, Purple-headed barb, Ruby barb
Scientific name: Puntius nigrofasciatus
Synonyms: Barbus nigrofasciatus (not valid)
Size: 2.5" (6cm)
Origin: Sri Lanka
Tank setup: Planted tank with some open swimming space, avoid overly bright lighting, or provide shade with floating plants.
Compatibility: A lively but normally peaceful community fish. Keep in a shoal.
Temperature: 21-26oC (70-79oF)
Water chemistry: Fairly soft, slightly acidic preferred (pH 6.5-7), especially for breeding
Feeding: Omnivorous, most foods accepted, include a vegetable component in the diet.
Sexing: Breeding males show the intense red/black colour (see photo) and tend to be a little larger, though females have a thicker body shape.
Breeding: For spawning, water should be soft and at the higher end of the temperature range. Spawning usually takes place in the morning, with the eggs being scattered among plants. The adults will eat the eggs if given the chance. Eggs hatch in about 24 hours and the fry become free-swimming several days later.
Comments: Juveniles have a colour and striped pattern similar to the Tiger barb, but breeding males change colour quite dramatically, as shown in the photo.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

Black Ruby barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Ruby barb   Black Ruby barb Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 2:46 pm

Dang thats awesome. How do i obtain this type of fish?
Back to top Go down
chicknefoot87
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
chicknefoot87

Favorite Fish: : Goldfish and Koi! I have to represent for the serious goldfish hobbyist.

Black Ruby barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Ruby barb   Black Ruby barb Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 2:48 pm

I've actually never seen one in the store. I'm sure you could find some online.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Black Ruby barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Ruby barb   Black Ruby barb Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 2:56 pm

Online shipping = cry
Back to top Go down
chicknefoot87
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
chicknefoot87

Black Ruby barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Ruby barb   Black Ruby barb Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 3:01 pm

Some fish stores will order them for you.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Black Ruby barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Ruby barb   Black Ruby barb Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 3:20 pm

Stores costs too much cry
Back to top Go down
chicknefoot87
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
chicknefoot87

Black Ruby barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Ruby barb   Black Ruby barb Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 3:32 pm

How do you get fish? Catch 'em yourself? lol!
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Black Ruby barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Ruby barb   Black Ruby barb Icon_minitime12/15/2009, 5:06 pm

My asian dealers. LOL, or just wait until a store has a clearance on fish. Or get em from my family or from Kory!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Black Ruby barb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Ruby barb   Black Ruby barb Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Ruby barb
Page 1 of 1