UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

what are the symptoms of a old fish

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
montemike72
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : oscars, green terrors

what are the symptoms of a old fish Empty
PostSubject: what are the symptoms of a old fish   what are the symptoms of a old fish Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 9:25 am

i recently had a oscar that i have had in my tank for about a year, start acting odd, it would go berzerk, swimming out of control, into rocks, the top, other fish ect, leaving gashes in himself, and it wasn't eating, i hand fed him/her night crawlers, and determined it was blind, but that was not always the problem, i got this tiger oscar from a guy off of craigslist that was moving, and he gave me like 10 huge oscars, this guy was really active for about 8 months, then the odd behavior started, and progressed, well on Friday he/she was having a really bad time swimming/balance/ was bloated on one side, i am hoping he/she was just old, i made the decision to kill him/her rather than see it suffer, for a fish lover, it was really difficult to do it too, i guess what i am asking, is...has anyone else had, or is having similar behaviors with their oscars ?
Back to top Go down
WildWiley
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
WildWiley

Favorite Fish: : clown I do love my nems and inverts

PostSubject: Re: what are the symptoms of a old fish   what are the symptoms of a old fish Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 9:37 am

That sound more like an illness to me maybe a swim bladder infection? As far as signs of them getting old not sure about oscars but most fish kinda just slow down and don't eat as much
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: what are the symptoms of a old fish   what are the symptoms of a old fish Icon_minitime1/2/2012, 10:20 am

Oscars live a long while. Do you know how old they were when you received them?
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: what are the symptoms of a old fish   what are the symptoms of a old fish Icon_minitime1/13/2012, 5:50 pm

hmmm with behavior and symptoms like that i would strongly associate the cause with poor water quality, not old age. when the water quality is bad the fish go nuts literally trying to get out. size of tank and number of fish have serious effects on the quality of life on such a large breed of fish. oscars are big and messy fish.

what do the results of your water tests say? whats the size of your tank with as many large fish you have?
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: what are the symptoms of a old fish   what are the symptoms of a old fish Icon_minitime1/16/2012, 2:21 pm

btw how is that 500g tank of yours? your oscars shouldnt be behaving like that in a tank that big. not enough filtration maybe?. post pics
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what are the symptoms of a old fish   what are the symptoms of a old fish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what are the symptoms of a old fish
Page 1 of 1