UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Apple snail problem

Go down 
+2
fishface30
Ghost-Knife
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ghost-Knife
Private First Class
Private First Class
Ghost-Knife

Favorite Fish: : Loaches, Bristle Noise Plecos, Ghost Knife, African Leaf Fish, Cory Cats, Rubber Lip Pleco, Bichars, Gar, Dragon Fish, Elephant Noise, Bumble Bee Cats, Discus, freshwater fish for now.... ;p

Apple snail problem Empty
PostSubject: Apple snail problem   Apple snail problem Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 12:02 am

My apple snails shells are slowly but suely losing there protective shell... It eroding away... Whats going on?
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: Apple snail problem   Apple snail problem Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 3:04 am

I've read that soft water or low pH can do that. Snails rely on a calcium level in the water and either the soft water or low pH will take away from available calcium to buffer against it, robbing the snails from any calcium to keep their shells.

Check your water hardness I would think, it's probably soft water. My guess is to add CaCo3or some limestone rock/gravel in the tank to help. good luck!
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Apple snail problem   Apple snail problem Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 8:14 am

Go to a local landscape store and find a nice decorative piece of either limestone or marble. The snails will consume what calcium they need by scrapping the surface of the rock. Now it will slowly raise the hardness and pH of your tank, so make sure your other inhabinants can handle it.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Apple snail problem   Apple snail problem Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 8:24 am

Absolutely lacking in calcium !! Either buy some snail food with calcium , make some your self , or buy and add liquid calcium to the water .
Back to top Go down
Ghost-Knife
Private First Class
Private First Class
Ghost-Knife

Favorite Fish: : Loaches, Bristle Noise Plecos, Ghost Knife, African Leaf Fish, Cory Cats, Rubber Lip Pleco, Bichars, Gar, Dragon Fish, Elephant Noise, Bumble Bee Cats, Discus, freshwater fish for now.... ;p

PostSubject: Re: Apple snail problem   Apple snail problem Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 10:02 am

Okay does home depo or lowes sale limestone? And this added calcium liquid sounds interesting, by some chance would petco or petsmsart carry it?
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Apple snail problem   Apple snail problem Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 11:14 am

Petco and petsmart should carry it . If not go to a Marine aquarium shop.
Back to top Go down
Ghost-Knife
Private First Class
Private First Class
Ghost-Knife

PostSubject: Re: Apple snail problem   Apple snail problem Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 11:37 am

Thank you all.... I have read about my apple snail issue, I even put old shells in there with them, I thought the shells would put calcium into the water... But anyway, I'm going to get some limestone and some of this liquid calcium you speak of... Thanks again :D
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Apple snail problem   Apple snail problem Icon_minitime11/26/2011, 7:20 pm

mind you, you wont need a lot of the limestone to buffer you tank.

as for your tap water, is it municipal tap water or from a well? you can usually look up on your local water company's website ad see you tap water quality.
Back to top Go down
Elliot03
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Apple snail problem   Apple snail problem Icon_minitime1/7/2012, 2:33 am

I’ve heard this before & think maybe it could be a species thing. I have kept them with a number of plants: Crypts, Valls, Bolbitis & JavaFerns, Anubias, Swords, etc., etc. for almost 3 years & they only seem interested in the dead/dying plant material, algae, & fish food, so have been good janitors for me. I’ve really enjoyed watching the behaviors & the different color combinations that have resulted from breeding, so kind of hate to see them get a bad rep, but I know others have had different experiences. The Riccia was the first they’ve bothered in my tank. There are different species that look very much alike, and some are voracious plant eaters. I pulled the below from an online source, maybe it explains the different experiences? Or maybe they’re just not interested in the types of plants I’ve kept. I’d be interested in any additional feedback.
Thanks!
Stacie

The apple snails are popular aquarium-pets because of their attractive appearance and size. When taken good care of some apple snail species can reach a large size (15 cm / 6 inch diameter in case of Pomacea maculata, sometimes faulty referred to as Ampullarius gigas). Apple snails are in fact the biggest living freshwater snails on earth. The most common apple snail in aquarium shops is Pomacea diffusa (spike-topped apple snail). This species comes in different colours from brown to albino or yellow and even blue, with or without banding. The body of these snails also shows great variation from black to yellow and grey. Another common apple snail is Pomacea canaliculata, this snail is bigger, rounder and is more likely to eat your plants, which makes it less suitable for most aquaria. These snails also come in different shell and body colours. The Giant ramshorn snail, Marisa cornuarietis, although not always recognized as an apple snail due to its discoidal shape, also ranks the popular aquatic pets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apple snail problem   Apple snail problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Apple snail problem
Page 1 of 1