UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Apple snails dying

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 11:08 am

Okay I have some kind of problem and cannot figure it out. In the past 3 weeks I have lost 4 apple snails. Just pulled another one. It started when I noticed the cloudiness in the tap water. I've checked everything in all the tanks and all parameters are normal. I've got 5 left all in different tanks but the 4 were in different tanks also. The 4 that died were my 4 largest ones the smaller one seem to be doing okay at the present. Any ideas of what I should be checking for. All other types of snails are doing okay just the apple snails are dying. These snails I've had for over 2 years without a problem. H E L P !!
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 11:52 am

Some chemical that you normally don't test for must be out of wack in your water treatment plant. I'd do a 25% water change in affected tanks using distilled water in order to lower the concentration of whatever the mystery chemical is.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 11:55 am

First thing comes to my mind is copper. Have you tested for this? Also, have you tested the water straight from the tap for anything possible changes? If on city water, it's possible they bumped up certain chemicals in the water too. Dose Prime at double strength for a bit.
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 12:00 pm

I'll get a copper test kit. Have been doubling Prime since the water change being cloudy.
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 6:47 pm

Skip the copper test kit and just get some poly filter sheets! They pull copper and all sorts of yuckys out of the water and you really only need a strip to get the job done! It will change different colors depending on what it is pulling from your water.
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 6:50 pm

I did the poly filter sheets last week in all the tanks.
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 6:52 pm

Cleaned all the filters today and packed them with fiber fill we'll see.
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 6:55 pm

Hmmmm got me stumped then.... What color did the poly filter turn?
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 7:38 pm

green
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 8:42 pm

aqua possibly?
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 8:49 pm

teah I guess it was more aqua blueish green.
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 8:51 pm

They have aqua to dark blue listed as copper....
I could see copper ending up in city water supply for a bit.
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 8:56 pm

AARRGGG!!!!!!! What should I do with water changes can't afford to buy water!
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 8:59 pm

Know someone on a well?
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:05 pm

nope!
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:07 pm

Pack the tanks with plants and just keep testing the tap water for copper with the poly filter.... Only takes a tiny bit for a test.
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:09 pm

Okay will try to move everyone to one 10 gal and use bought water for that tank. Have a 10 I can tear apart and redo.
Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 9:13 pm

find a public park with a spigot that is in a different water district..... or some other source of water from a different company... But till then the 10g idea is the best way to go!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Apple snails dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple snails dying   Apple snails dying Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Apple snails dying
Page 1 of 1