UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Need help! Is this fish holding?

Go down 
+11
BFinley
mark
Yeti
sassynurse2
KingBichir
lifeisgood
strikingthematch
slimtosa
Jd.
MarkM
Jstump
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

Favorite Fish: : Metriaclima sp. "Msobo" Magunga

Need help! Is this fish holding? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Need help! Is this fish holding?   Need help! Is this fish holding? - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/27/2011, 7:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm still relatively new to cichlids and I'm not sure, but i think i have a female holding. I got a group of Cynotilapia Afra cobue from mark and they are still pretty small but this fish seems to have something in its mouth. If it is holding, what do I need to do?
Need help! Is this fish holding? - Page 2 Imag0411
Need help! Is this fish holding? - Page 2 Imag0412
Need help! Is this fish holding? - Page 2 Imag0413
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Is this fish holding?   Need help! Is this fish holding? - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/28/2011, 6:57 pm

I let my females hold for 12-14 days then I "strip" them into a breeder net ( from petsmart) . They stay in that for a few days then into a grow out tank
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

Favorite Fish: : Metriaclima sp. "Msobo" Magunga

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Is this fish holding?   Need help! Is this fish holding? - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/28/2011, 7:02 pm

Well I came home from work today and cant find anybody holding unless she is hiding. Can see swallow the eggs or what could have happened.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Is this fish holding?   Need help! Is this fish holding? - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/28/2011, 7:34 pm

She could be hiding .(did you count your females ?) Or she could have eaten them . Or she could have spit them . Hard sayin'.
Back to top Go down
cichlidlady
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
cichlidlady

Favorite Fish: : All African Cichlids but especially Demasoni

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Is this fish holding?   Need help! Is this fish holding? - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/28/2011, 9:09 pm

Yeah I agree there are many possibilities.........I've been fooled by this a few times. I always use the "feeding time test" to see who is not eating cus I've had a female look like she's holding then the same day look normal. After close observation her jaw was really full and obvious at first then it seemed to be too much for her mouth and I watched her spit out a few eggs on a flat rock.......go figure! Then she really didn't look like she was holding anymore but still managed to spit about 24 fry when it was all said and done......keep an eye out you never know.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Is this fish holding?   Need help! Is this fish holding? - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/28/2011, 10:22 pm

yellow lab is a male and if she is holding soon u will see her mouth acting funny as the live fry's move around i had my red zebra holding but some one got to the baby's before i did, It was funny u can see this little black things swimming in her mouth if you get her to face the right direction
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Is this fish holding?   Need help! Is this fish holding? - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/29/2011, 1:42 am

It must be the cooler weather, I've now spotted one of my shyer female peacocks, and she's holding such that I can see the pink of her gills.
Back to top Go down
hydrodmg
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : broiled or grilled just not fried

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Is this fish holding?   Need help! Is this fish holding? - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/30/2011, 7:07 am

I breed the cobue and she is holding! Need help! Is this fish holding? - Page 2 265353 what all do you have in the tank i saw a yellow lab in the picture. I have two holding cobues right now and last month i stripped two as well. With my new set up i dont think i will be stripping any more. as i now have the tank space each holding female will be able to brood to term in her own tank
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Is this fish holding?   Need help! Is this fish holding? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help! Is this fish holding?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2