UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Kribensis crazy

Go down 
+2
strikingthematch
Flippercon
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime10/20/2011, 2:08 pm

Well I had a pair of kribs spawn for me in march of 2010. I gave away most of the fish except for about 10 of them and threw them in a community at an 1". The pair that spawned I no longer have but I do have these guys. Offsprings offspring lol. I also have another pair that spawned a month ago and the fry are getting nice size.

Male guarding fry he is maybe 2"
Kribensis crazy  IMAG0048
The female guarding fry she is 1 1/2"
Kribensis crazy  IMAG0049
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime10/20/2011, 2:31 pm

So the family continues haha. Looks like it is back to square one haha.
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime10/20/2011, 3:11 pm

Yeah I have a spawn from an albino and scarlet as well. The scarlet had the albino gene as well. Half albino and the other half look normal.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime10/20/2011, 6:45 pm

Sounds awesome. You will have more fry then you know what to do with in a few months lol
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 5:15 am

Kribensis crazy  DSC00367
Back to top Go down
NajaAkaDoa
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
NajaAkaDoa

Favorite Fish: : Loaches!

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 11:15 am

That last guy.. (probably a girl?)..

......only thing missing is the "terrible towel" swinging.... ;)
go stellers.....Peace JT
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 11:57 am

Yeah I got 4 males and the rest of the 30 was female.
Back to top Go down
TankGirl
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
TankGirl

Favorite Fish: : Lake Tanganyikan cichlids

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 2:24 pm

Very nice! Great color on those fish - congrats!
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 3:17 pm

id like to keep in contact with you. right now im wanting to line-breed for eye-spots on the fins. so far ive got 7 spots on the tail. and nice spotting on the dorsal fin. 2 more line breeds and i think ill have what i want. id love to mix in some scarlet a few years down the road...
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 3:18 pm

that male is stunningly impressive btw.
Back to top Go down
NajaAkaDoa
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
NajaAkaDoa

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 3:44 pm

Kasshan said. : right now im wanting to line-breed for eye-spots on the fins

"line breed = Inbreed"... anyone with a yellow lab out there?... my boy
which is actually my picture for this site...."Morgan"... suffered from hip
'displacia'... when it got bad he couldnt keep his back end up....

I see people 'not liking' hybrids....

I 'discovered' it with reptiles.... albinos, anerys, bla bla bla.... genetic flaws inbred
for money.....

.............dont mean to put my soap box to work but maybe no 'lines', maybe
tree brances to get to what you're seeking?... sucks to see/hear an animal suffer
......................Peace JT..

..........think white tigers.. started getting crossed eyes etc... no more
white bengal breeding in zoos..... again as always... Peace -JT
Back to top Go down
NajaAkaDoa
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
NajaAkaDoa

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 4:08 pm

heres to 'eye seeking beauty'...;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nmudAITvvQ

(ps....now if 'line breeding' means something different
in the fish world, im a rookie mind you, then I just
played ultimate "zero".....if not..)....Peace -JT

...........sorry about the song on that joint, it's not my video ;)
Back to top Go down
NajaAkaDoa
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
NajaAkaDoa

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 4:34 pm

yea I know... Im a 'buzzkill'..... forgive me.. Peace JT
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 5:05 pm

lol no buzz kill at all, just not fully informed.

anyhow tho, if that is the case then anyone for that matter that owns a breed of dog that doesnt look like a wolf, coyote, or mutt is guilty of supporting line-breeding in some manner.

rather i do extensive culling, weeding out specimens i do not deem acceptable or inferior. im sure any respectable Discus breeder has smashed a few inferior/imperfect Discus specimens on the floor. i prefer to pinch em and toss the carcasses to the ravenous crayfish tank.

of course line breeding is inbreeding, no denying that. but to compare tiger breeding to fish breeding, well... tigers have maybe 1-2 cubs every few years... kribensis have 200+ babies every 2 months

plus my fish are forced to breed in a highly competitive tank kribensis vs neolamprologus brichardi, along with various tetras. so only the toughest babies survive; therefore its highly unlikely ill get a genetically inferior specimen reaching adulthood.

so essentially line-breeding does mean something different as far as fish are concerned. no worries calling yourself a rookie. its an understandable concern you expressed and i was glad to inform you Naja.

Last edited by Kasshan on 11/22/2011, 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 5:19 pm

i think most people youre thinking of are dog breeders or tiger breeders such as in your example; they are merely concerned with turning a profit.

responsible breeders should destroy specimens with genetic disorders, but since profit margins are so low as it is with animals like tigers, which long breeding period and small litter sizes, either they cant afford to do that Or they dont have the heart of a true scientist.
Back to top Go down
NajaAkaDoa
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
NajaAkaDoa

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 6:40 pm

Lives are lives... everything feels...

1-2 babies....200 babies.... still babies...

"heart of a scientist"...... hmmm, maybe a conflicting statement...

.............I think maybe a 'scientist' would look at this and maybe have
some second thoughts about 'inbreeding' their animals.....since we all know
what 'inbreeding' does.... I hope your fish do well, thanks for the info Peace JT
Back to top Go down
NajaAkaDoa
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
NajaAkaDoa

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 7:45 pm

kashon said : im sure any respectable Discus breeder has smashed a few inferior/imperfect Discus specimens on the floor. i prefer to pinch em and toss the carcasses to the ravenous crayfish tank.

Wtph? I missed that the first time....

........and yea Dogs line bred... hence the hips going out etc... but hey if my friend
jumps off a bridge...... yea me too.... Peace JT
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 8:13 pm

i dont think we all know what inbreeding does.

several generations of linebreeding from a strong genetic parent is not harmful genetically at all because one is Culling inferior offspring (usually associated with homozygosity of deleterious alleles). one needs to have a good understanding of genetics and how it relates to breeding culture. Culling is perhaps the paramount of this discussion.

but most folks are rather squeemish and dont like hearing about the practices of Husbandry. heck most people dont even like to think about that their meat/ hamburgers actually came from a living breathing creature with perhaps even feelings no less.

scientists do have hearts; ive sacrificed more lab rodents that i care to count or remember. but i still cried when my baby hamsters emptied out the food dish and they all decided to crawl in. the ones on the bottom suffocated. scientist and responsible breeders hearts just happen to have a convenient on/off switch.

...and i think its now official... thread jacked
Back to top Go down
NajaAkaDoa
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
NajaAkaDoa

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 8:17 pm

.............forgive me... Kribensis crazy  690297

Last edited by NajaAkaDoa on 11/22/2011, 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 8:49 pm

okay, anyhow...

Flippercon i hope we can do some possible trading of specimens. do the females express the scarlet gene? or is it just the males. if its just males then ill have to raise my pH cuz im getting 4 to 1 ratio of males to females in my tank currently. my water is 6.2 i guess ill need to gradually buffer the system to 7.2 if i want more girls.

btw what is your pH at
Back to top Go down
NajaAkaDoa
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
NajaAkaDoa

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 9:44 pm

Kashon said... : but i still cried when my baby hamsters emptied out the food dish and they all decided to crawl in. the ones on the bottom suffocated. scientist and responsible breeders hearts just happen to have a convenient on/off switch.

very sad .....JT

Last edited by NajaAkaDoa on 11/23/2011, 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NajaAkaDoa
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
NajaAkaDoa

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 9:51 pm

Forgive me again..... sometimes I just... you know.... Peace JT
Back to top Go down
NajaAkaDoa
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
NajaAkaDoa

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 10:00 pm

Kasshon said...:responsible breeders should destroy specimens with genetic disorders

I'm saying friendly, maybe you dont put them in the position to have them"smashed on the ground"?.......

................................as always, peace ;)
Back to top Go down
NajaAkaDoa
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
NajaAkaDoa

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 10:04 pm

forgive me please.. peace JT

Last edited by NajaAkaDoa on 11/23/2011, 8:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 10:07 pm

My ph is at 7.4. Just pm me if you want some. I always have kribs I'm trying to rehome.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kribensis crazy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kribensis crazy    Kribensis crazy  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kribensis crazy
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next