UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

saltwater aquarium setup help

Go down 
+2
BFinley
hpolascik
6 posters
AuthorMessage
hpolascik
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : My spinny puffer fish! I love all my saltwater fish but spinny is my favorite

saltwater aquarium setup help Empty
PostSubject: saltwater aquarium setup help   saltwater aquarium setup help Icon_minitime10/18/2011, 10:59 am

I purchased a used 24 gal bio cube. The tank was extremely clean and well taken care of. I set the tank up with live sand and several live rock along with several peices of brand new rock. I also purchased the stuff (cant remember the name of it) from Petco that adds bacteria and makes the tank ready for fish immediately. I tested the water to make sure all parimeters were correct. The tank set for 24 hours and then I added 3 damsels which died immediately. I teted the water again and it was perfect. The previous owner assured me that the tank was only cleaned with water and vinegar and there was no odor of any chemicals inside the tank. Any suggestions in what could be the problem or what I need to do with the tank? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: saltwater aquarium setup help   saltwater aquarium setup help Icon_minitime10/18/2011, 3:07 pm

IMO those chemicals do not work and its really a waste of money.Salt water tanks takes alot longer then 24 hrs to cycle!Our SW experts can help you better than I can!Welcome to the box! saltwater aquarium setup help 772341 hi usafishbox
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: saltwater aquarium setup help   saltwater aquarium setup help Icon_minitime10/18/2011, 5:49 pm

Be patient, I waited almost a month to add fish and corals to my tank. Even when using live Rock from the beginning the tank can still take a while to cycle.
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: saltwater aquarium setup help   saltwater aquarium setup help Icon_minitime10/18/2011, 6:43 pm

There are a whole lot of things that could be wrong here. What do your tests say about the water?

Edit to add... Are you using saltwater tests?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: saltwater aquarium setup help   saltwater aquarium setup help Icon_minitime10/19/2011, 4:19 am

there is no Bacteria in a bottle that will cycle a new tank in 24 hours, although I do use Stability and Bio Sprira with great success and have been for the last 3+ years I always use seed water and dirty Chaeto along with it to start my tanks and even then I wait to add fish. your params are probably reading 0 across the board because the tank hasn't even begun to cycle. if you know someone with an established tank ask them if you can have their w/c water and Chaeto or you can buy some Chaeto from your LFS to help seed your tank. a good sign your tank is beginning to marinate are Diatoms they look like brown dust all over your rock and sand bed you'll know when you have them. good luck and slow down nothing good in a saltwater/Reef tank ever happens fast.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: saltwater aquarium setup help   saltwater aquarium setup help Icon_minitime10/19/2011, 4:22 am

P.S where in Va are you? I will give you all the seed water and Chaeto you need.
wait a minute, I just noticed it says under your name you already have a saltwater tank?
why don't you seed it with that one??? I'm a little confused here if you already have a saltwater tank then you should already know all this Suspect
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Favorite Fish: : As far as fresh water goes, it's Bettas!
For marine fish; Firefish, Cardinalfish, Gobies, Dragonets, and Sharks...

PostSubject: Re: saltwater aquarium setup help   saltwater aquarium setup help Icon_minitime10/19/2011, 11:54 am

I made the same mistake by setting up my tank with LR and LS, adding the bacteria-in-a-bottle and thinking everything was okay to add fish. I put in 2 damsels and 2 cardinals and a few days later 2 peppermint shrimp. Within 2 weeks, my tank was in full cycle, the nitrates were off the chart in spite of daily water changes and maintenance and cleaning the filter pads of my E 400 daily. I lost a cardinal and a peppermint shrimp within a day or so of each other. That's about the time the diatoms took off.

I learned the hard way that no matter how excited I am to get my tank inhabitants, I should never rush the process. I didn't have access to any seeded water, so was just using regular water with the water conditioner in it.

I'm assuming you used a dechlorinator/water conditioner if you used tap water....otherwise all your bacteria in the LS and LR (as well as the stuff in the bottle) would most likely have died off. Also, did you clean out the tank before you set it up? Even if it looked clean, there could have been some sort of residue (pesticide, exhaust, etc) sticking to it that had settled on the tank especially if it had been stored somewhere like a garage... Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: saltwater aquarium setup help   saltwater aquarium setup help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

saltwater aquarium setup help
Page 1 of 1