UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Reef Crystals?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Favorite Fish: : As far as fresh water goes, it's Bettas!
For marine fish; Firefish, Cardinalfish, Gobies, Dragonets, and Sharks...

Reef Crystals? Empty
PostSubject: Reef Crystals?   Reef Crystals? Icon_minitime9/29/2011, 11:53 am

Have any of you used the reef crystals? Pros and cons?
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

Reef Crystals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reef Crystals?   Reef Crystals? Icon_minitime9/29/2011, 12:39 pm

IO reef crystals is all I use. I haven't found any con's. when and if you switch salts do it slowly.
Reef Crystals? Salt-mixeschart-2
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Reef Crystals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reef Crystals?   Reef Crystals? Icon_minitime9/29/2011, 1:13 pm

Will do. I was hoping that it would be a good choice for my tank! :) Right now I have just the Instant Ocean sea salt and I'm supplementing with the Instant Ocean reef accelerator to provide the trace elements and calcium.

If you use the reef crystals, do you have to worry about adding anything like trace elements, etc or do the reef crystals provide everything you need? I'm such a worry wart about my tank and I want to make sure I don't mess something up! LOL!
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

Reef Crystals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reef Crystals?   Reef Crystals? Icon_minitime9/29/2011, 1:41 pm

First and foremost... never supplement anything you can't test for. Water changes will replace your trace elements in most cases. Reef Crystals over IO really (imo) boils down to the elevated magnesium. A lot of people really seem to like it. I just use IO. I have a separate dosing scheme to maintain alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium levels in my system according to what my tests indicate is needed. Because I use the IO I always buffer my change water to what I want those levels to be.

Keep a diary of your parameters, your observations, and anything relative to the system.

PS If you're running all softies your regular water changes will keep your calcium levels straight.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

Reef Crystals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reef Crystals?   Reef Crystals? Icon_minitime9/29/2011, 2:11 pm

different corals consume trace elements at different rates like SPS in your case you should be fine with the salt mix since you are planning zoa's softies and some LPS in the future but you should have a good test kit on hand.
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Reef Crystals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reef Crystals?   Reef Crystals? Icon_minitime9/29/2011, 2:34 pm

I've got the API reef master test kit... having a hard time getting my calcium to 400 even with the reef accelerator... with the soft corals and polyps is this lower calcuim a problem? I can always get a calcium supplement if need be... My calcium right now is around 370ppm. I'm dosing for a 60g tank since I'm also trying to encourage the coralline algae to start to grow....anything to get rid of the diatom brown! lol!
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

Reef Crystals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reef Crystals?   Reef Crystals? Icon_minitime9/29/2011, 2:52 pm

Meredith wrote:
I've got the API reef master test kit... having a hard time getting my calcium to 400 even with the reef accelerator... with the soft corals and polyps is this lower calcuim a problem? I can always get a calcium supplement if need be... My calcium right now is around 370ppm. I'm dosing for a 60g tank since I'm also trying to encourage the coralline algae to start to grow....anything to get rid of the diatom brown! lol!

What's your alkalinity at? The two are intertwined. Diatoms usually clear on their own.
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Reef Crystals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reef Crystals?   Reef Crystals? Icon_minitime9/29/2011, 4:33 pm

Not sure. There's no pH test in my kit. I'll see if hubs can find a pH test kit on his way home tonight. Do they flourish in more alkaline conditions? If so, how do I lower the pH?
Told ya I'm a dingy noob !!!
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

Reef Crystals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reef Crystals?   Reef Crystals? Icon_minitime9/29/2011, 4:54 pm

It's a KH test. PH you want around 8
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Reef Crystals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reef Crystals?   Reef Crystals? Icon_minitime9/29/2011, 5:22 pm

OOooooh! For water hardness? KH (carbonate) test I have! LOL! I tested for it back on the 13th and it sat at 10dKH (179ppm),

I keep a daily journal on my tank and while it's still getting itself established I'm testing every few days for Nitrates (which has been my biggest problem, even after removing the E 400), and once a week for Ammonia, phosphated and Calcium, and only the once for Carbonate thus far. Every morning I check the water temp and SG.

I write and detail everything from water color/clarity to how the fish and critters are acting/eating. I'm completely insane with documenting, but I want to know if something doesn't seem quite right so I can go back and look and see what's been going on and ask questions if/when needed.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Reef Crystals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reef Crystals?   Reef Crystals? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reef Crystals?
Page 1 of 1