UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

LED lighting

Go down 
+8
Jax
sassynurse2
08can-am
fishface30
BFinley
cwhip
strikingthematch
Meredith
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

Favorite Fish: : As far as fresh water goes, it's Bettas!
For marine fish; Firefish, Cardinalfish, Gobies, Dragonets, and Sharks...

LED lighting - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/26/2011, 2:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm seriously considering switching to the LED lights... I didn't really think too much about them until I saw them in use in the frag tanks at my LFS. I was really impressed!

What size would I need for my 55? I don't know/understand much about how those work, so I need help in choosing the correct one.

noob power! YESSSS! lol!
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/28/2011, 11:45 am

Jax, I keep having the urge to smack my screen...then I realize it's your avatar. Bwahahahahaha!!!!
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/28/2011, 11:56 am

LOL
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/28/2011, 1:19 pm

Meredith wrote:
OH wow! Cwhip I totally missed your post....but that is awesome!!! I would be using them as the primary lighting so I can chuck the ones I have now (yeah, don't ask me what they are cuz I have NO idea lol! ).

Where do I find these amazing Reef Brite Strips???

Neva mind! I found 'em! LOL! How do I know what size I need??

Someone on reef2reef selling 24" blue reefbrite strips for 110 a piece.

If you're somewhat handy you can build your own led setup with 3w crees. The exact number and the argument of optics vs no optics is extensive and open to speculation. If you want the easy everything LED fixture (top of the line here) then look at acan led fixtures.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/28/2011, 1:51 pm

Meredith what kind of fixture are you using now?
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/28/2011, 2:15 pm

Weeelllll... It's a metal hood (ballast?) that houses 6 tube bulbs: 3 on each side, white, blue, violet, and has a glass bottom.
I don't know if they're T-5 or what... like I said the whole set up came together; tank, hood, light, stand, power heads, skimmer, and E400 (that I'm no longer using, hehehe), and all these new lighting choices are way over my head! crazy
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/28/2011, 2:19 pm

And Thank You Pope for the heads up... I still don't really know what I need or what length or anything.

I DO know that the LED's they had set up over the frag tanks at my LFS created the most beautiful, crystal clear lighting I've ever seen!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/28/2011, 2:37 pm

what PC bulbs look like VS. T5's if you plan to use the fixture you have now and supplement with LED's then I would get (1) 48 inch Reef Brite strip all BLUE remember you can always swap out the bulbs in your current fixture to change the color when ever you want. by the way its not hard once you realize the difference and at this point in the game you dont need to clutter your mind with 10K,14K,20K ETC...
these are PC
LED lighting - Page 2 Untitled-3
these are T5's
LED lighting - Page 2 UntitledT5
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/28/2011, 2:45 pm

here's a link
http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/RB-PM48-B.html
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/28/2011, 3:27 pm

So as to only slightly clutter your mind... The higher the kelvin rating on the bulb the bluer it will be. Some SPS favor blue light cuz it simulates sunlight at depth. Generally the lower the kelvin the better the growth, but the more yellow the appearance.

I was considering the reefbrite 24s to get rid of the t5's in my canopy, but I'll probably end up going with a RapidLED kit and building it myself. I'm not worried about PAR from the blue because I'm running 350 watts of 10k metal halide over the tank and only want supplementation. (Yes this runs hot if you're wondering)

Length wise a standard 55 is 48 inches.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/28/2011, 3:51 pm

popebosephus wrote:
So as to only slightly clutter your mind... The higher the kelvin rating on the bulb the bluer it will be. Some SPS favor blue light cuz it simulates sunlight at depth. Generally the lower the kelvin the better the growth, but the more yellow the appearance.

I was considering the reefbrite 24s to get rid of the t5's in my canopy, but I'll probably end up going with a RapidLED kit and building it myself. I'm not worried about PAR from the blue because I'm running 350 watts of 10k metal halide over the tank and only want supplementation. (Yes this runs hot if you're wondering)

Length wise a standard 55 is 48 inches.

I run 10K HID's I like the SPS growth I get + 2x blue plus 2x true actinic T5's and supplement with the all blue Reef Brite led's. I understand totally the look she is wanting. I just figured since she doesn't own a Metal Halide or HID fixture or keep SPS why confuse her:)
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/28/2011, 4:14 pm

And, believe me, I'm definitely easily confused! LOL! Just ask my kids! crazy

Ok, so the tubes in my light system LOOK like the PC ones you've shown...they're short and hooked together like the ones in the pic (there are 2 sets of 3 in my hood thingy).

So I can replace the bulbs I currently have and put the LED's in my current fixture? I think, at least for now, I might just supplement what I have, but it's good to know that I can eventually just completely replace the lighting.

Right now I only have soft corals (the Button Polyps, and Jasmine Polyps) and I'm planning to add a Mushroom here in the next couple of weeks, and I'll continue building on my reef as I go with more soft corals (Zoas and Xenias)... some day I want to get some LPS, but that will be a while. I would also like to add a couple macroalgae as well... So all blue is what I need then to supplement what I already have? And I should get the 48 inch ones...
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/28/2011, 4:22 pm

Meredith wrote:
And, believe me, I'm definitely easily confused! LOL! Just ask my kids! crazy

Ok, so the tubes in my light system LOOK like the PC ones you've shown...they're short and hooked together like the ones in the pic (there are 2 sets of 3 in my hood thingy).

So I can replace the bulbs I currently have and put the LED's in my current fixture? I think, at least for now, I might just supplement what I have, but it's good to know that I can eventually just completely replace the lighting.

Right now I only have soft corals (the Button Polyps, and Jasmine Polyps) and I'm planning to add a Mushroom here in the next couple of weeks, and I'll continue building on my reef as I go with more soft corals (Zoas and Xenias)... some day I want to get some LPS, but that will be a while. I would also like to add a couple macroalgae as well... So all blue is what I need then to supplement what I already have? And I should get the 48 inch ones...
yep! thats what I would do. all the coral you mentioned will do fine under what you have plus supplement with the LED strip, if your 55 is standard then a 48inch strip will be what you want then you can istall them on your fixture, its just a couple screws and youre done:)
these LED's are mind blowing I had a big reefer christmas party here and some of the guys brought their LED's to compare with mine lol there was no contest theirs looked like moon lights in comparison..you wont be disapointed!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/28/2011, 4:31 pm

please pardon my spelling I've been sick:(
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/28/2011, 4:54 pm

Sweet! That should be easy enough to get my hubby to do. I wanna make sure that the corals and the critters have the proper lighting and other "stuff" they need.

Again, you guys are LIFE SAVERS! LED lighting - Page 2 772341 THANK YOU!
Back to top Go down
popebosephus
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
popebosephus

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/29/2011, 8:36 am

the fixture you have is ample light for what you want to keep right now. run the lights on a timer so the tank gets the same amount of light every day, and you can put more money into livestock. The only thing I'd personally recommend is changing the bulbs if you don't know how old they are.
Back to top Go down
Meredith
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Meredith

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime9/29/2011, 11:05 am

Well, I WOULD like to work on getting my reef "planted' with my soft corals and such... HEHEHE
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 10:10 pm

so..i decided after a look at some LED diy to go for it,and got some Xmas led a roll of mirror background and some Styrofoam..wish me luck lol!
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 10:19 pm

If you look through this thread you can see the LED strip. That is more along the lines of what you need. You can buy the LED online and add them to your own backing for a good DIY.

If you search the web for DIY LED reef lighting you might find what you are looking for.

here is a good one.

http://reefledlights.com/how-to-diy-led/
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/2/2011, 9:32 am

this el chip o for a freshwater 40g breeder tank no plants..ty for the link like the light bar in it. can u buy heat sink metal? and from whom?
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/2/2011, 10:00 am

Link says it all
Quote :
A quality Heat Sink is a must. We only provide heat sinks from Heat Sink USA as they are the best for this application. With limited LEDs you can go with Home Depot Aluminum but the temp is the key. If you cannot hold your completed fixture tight between your fingers …It’s too hot, and the LEDs will not last as long.

Pretty much just a metal that readily absorbs heat. You could likely add heat fins as well depending on design. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108071

to aid in cooling if it needed it.

But for your application with low watt LEDs just make sure it will withstand any moisture build up and I would think you will be fine.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/2/2011, 8:20 pm

ok so i made the upgrade LED are to dimm looks like moon shine light..
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/2/2011, 8:29 pm

LED has very directional light and without the lenses and higher watt LED they can look very dim.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime10/2/2011, 8:49 pm

ohhhh
Back to top Go down
erinwlz
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : gold fish

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime5/29/2012, 2:58 am

https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/54/84/63/00011.jpg
a new aquarium light, could adjust the angel
Back to top Go down
08can-am
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3

Favorite Fish: : Any thing reef friendl

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/4/2012, 8:56 pm

Soooooo... I havent been on here in forever but im trolling around and found this thread. What ever happened? Did anyone go LED? I have been running 2 of the Apollo reef fixtures on my 150 deep dim since December and love them. I have sps, clams, softies, bubble tip nem, 4 large wells brains, and tons of other stuff. The corals really love the light. Things grow like crazy under them and the colors are great. switching from T-5 on one tank and Halides/t-5 on another tank to Leds were the best thing i have done. I since have set up a 29 gallon bio cube in our nursery and came across a hood upgraded to the NanoTuners led kit. I will not have a reef tank without Leds ever. Oh and Hi!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/8/2012, 2:23 pm

i just purchased an LED light but it is not for a reef tank. it is for my cichlids lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LED lighting   LED lighting - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LED lighting
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2